• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Instant Coffee

Sidey's back

I like a cup of coffee but I'm not prepared to pay £3.00 a cup in Costalot or it's competitors.

What would you recommend as a good quality instant coffee or convenient alternative?

Thanks.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Most instant coffee these days is much of a muchness on quality - the question to ask is how ethically it has been produced. Needless to say this is not a question many of the household names want people to ask - Ethical Consumer website gives comparative info on various aspects of production and distribution if you can be arsed to sign up to its free 30 day trial.

I would recommend cafedirect - you can get it from your local Oxfam - a fair cup of coffee for a fairer world.

elginCity

I too resent the extortionate pricing for UK coffee, sometimes 3 times the equivalent in mainland Europe.

Having a couple of stovetop coffee pots, grinder and beans means it can be a bit of a faff, but results in a quality brew at a fraction of the price of Starbucks et al.

Drinking a decent cup of coffee is one of life's greatest yet simplest of pleasures.

iscalad

Carte Noir is a decent enough instant brew. Douwe Egberts pure indulgence coffee isn't too bad either.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I also eschew coffee shops if I can possibly help it. If I'm at home I'll make myself a pot of proper coffee first thing, but unless I'm really splashing out I'll just have the Tesco stuff. Likewise for the instant coffee I drink at work, a jar of Tesco stuff (not the Value or whatever they call it now) does the trick.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I too resent the extortionate pricing for UK coffee, sometimes 3 times the equivalent in mainland Europe.

Having a couple of stovetop coffee pots, grinder and beans means it can be a bit of a faff, but results in a quality brew at a fraction of the price of Starbucks et al.

Drinking a decent cup of coffee is one of life's greatest yet simplest of pleasures.
I got a grinder for my last birthday. Helps make great coffee, and I can get it to fit in to my morning routine. I use Old Brown Java beans from Whittards.

Have to suffer vending machine coffee at work, really quite poor tasting. I should organise myself a flask!

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Much prefer instant coffee to any other. Shame there aren't many places that just sell that rather than the percolated muck. Nescafe Gold is my coffee of choice.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was told that the Greggs you find in some garages now offer you a free cake or bacon roll when you buy a coffee. That must ease the pain.

fred binneys head

I got on grinder for my last birthday
Interesting.

Swanaldo

Co-op's own label 'Gold Roast' is good, and about half the price of the equivalent Douwe Egberts or Nescafe.

If you have access to a filter machine, Sainsbury's Italian Blend is a good session coffee.