• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ilmari Niskanen (Welcome)

JGrecian23

Perhaps why he’s playing at a higher level club, stating the obvious doesn’t help your cause.
You said that Rankine and Niskanen are as good as it gets at this level. I've proven that it isn't. We had a better full back in League 2.

Whether there's another out there or not is a different argument but the point is that we have had better so can hope for better again.

Trampus

You said that Rankine and Niskanen are as good as it gets at this level. I've proven that it isn't. We had a better full back in League 2.

Whether there's another out there or not is a different argument but the point is that we have had better so can hope for better again.
As soon as we have better we have to sell. Better will always be transitory unfortunately.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure on that Max, I think he's definitely coming good. Would agree he's not pulled up many trees so far, but he had that horrible injury not long after he joined and I think we'd all be a little apprehensive after that until we were sure it wouldn't pop again. I like him, and think the last couple of games have been his best so far.
Would make him a good squad player then

Trampus

Sure, most of those we sign are good squad players, let’s get Caprice back he was a nailed on starter if I remember correctly.

Antony Moxey

Yes and no I guess. He's definitely worth his place in the squad, but it seems to me the further behind him his injury gets the better he's become. As I said, his best three games this season have been his last three, so hopefully he's on an upward curve. If that proves to continue to be the case then there's no reason to start anyone ahead of him.

JGrecian23

As soon as we have better we have to sell. Better will always be transitory unfortunately.
Now we agree. This is why in my personal opinion we don't need to fill the team with what I would say are 'unsellable' players.

If we aren't going to create our own assets anymore then our recruitment needs to be based on acquiring younger, hungrier players who can make us some money. We won't make any money on Niskanen, but someone in the mould of Rankine if signed on a personal deal could be.

You need the blend that say Carroll, Aimson and Woods give you, but we need to fill the rest with developing saleable assets.

Sorry I've gone off topic a little but it comes back to my point that I wouldn't want a team full of Niskanen types.

Spoonz Red E

It was good to see his work rate and intent continuing straight after half time on Saturday.
It quickly put to bed the idea that Burton would have licence to push for an equalizer while we held on grimly.

A good player and attitude to have if we want to convert the over cautious playing out from the back to a team using possession to apply pressure.

Grecian Max

Sure, most of those we sign are good squad players, let’s get Caprice back he was a nailed on starter if I remember correctly.
Eh?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Incorrect.

We only have to sell when their contract is nearing its end. We get to enjoy their talents before that.

Would be very odd to only bring in players who we thought were incapable of playing at a higher level.

During our terrible run both Dion and Ilmari were out injured and Caldwell was playing Kite at RWB , both good imo but for very Different reasons