• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

If Tisdale went

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why in Gods name would you offer the same salary and autonomy to any potential replacement?

I could understand (although perhaps not agree with) the argument to change manager on the basis that Tisdale hasn't really performed to scratch for 4 seasons now (difficult to argue against), that his salary and contract structure is way out of step for a club at our level (also difficult to argue against), and that he enjoys a level of autonomy practically unheard of at other professional clubs (more debatable than the other two but again, far from easy to dismiss.) As such if Tisdale WERE to go (and personally, I'm not sure that I would want him to), I would want any replacement to be an improvement in all 3 areas e.g. either a good track record at L2/L1 level, or good potential to improve our on field performances (especially at home), salary demands in line with what we can afford (and on a fixed term contract, not a rolling deal), and willing to work within a sensible governance framework (within which the manager can be held accountable for performance against agreed metrics).

Otherwise we're just taking a punt on 'percieved problem 1' (performances) and leaving 'perceived problem 2 & 3' (high salary & too much overall control) exactly as they are today.

I use the term 'perceived' because it seems that not everyone agrees that performances are poor, not everyone agrees that Tis' salary is too high, and not everyone agrees that he has too much control. And then even if you do agree with all 3 of those (as I do), there are seemingly still those (like me) who just want the man to stop being such a stubborn sod and do what we know he can do from 2008 and put together an exciting side again. I guess the subjective side is still currently swaying me away from the objective nature of the issues we are facing, but my god it's frustrating, especially in the aftermath of the weekends shambles.
I enjoyed reading this post Terry. I cant really fault anything you say here.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Tisdale doesn't think the performances are poor. Are there many others who really think recent performances haven't been poor? I do agree that any new manager should have a salary in line with league two and what we can afford.

paperclip

Surely any new manager should be offered a performance related contract, with a basic salary in line with other L2 managers? That way any over-performance can be rewarded from income generated from (presumably) higher gates.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've been watching Poole Town a lot recently and, whilst they play in the league below the Conference South, I'd like their manager Tom Killick to be given a shot were Tis to go.

They're strolling to the league title. Not only that but they're brilliant at home (W15, D1, L1) and defensively very solid too. Think they've conceded 5 at home all season, 18 in total. Their results are impressive, but football-wise they like to keep it on the ground and play sound really intricate stuff.

May be a bit of a gamble but it worked with Tis, certainly in the first few years at least.

GrecianWonder

I've been watching Poole Town a lot recently and, whilst they play in the league below the Conference South, I'd like their manager Tom Killick to be given a shot were Tis to go.

The same level that les afful plays. You really think that is a good enough standard to rate managers? At least team bath had reached their ceiling!

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The same level that les afful plays. You really think that is a good enough standard to rate managers? At least team bath had reached their ceiling!
Shows what you know. Tisdale's Team Bath finished 14th and 17th in the Southern League Premier in the two seasons before joining us. So you think we shouldn't go for the manager of the team that are storming to the title in the same division? What a load of nonsense.

Last edited:

manc grecian

What league were Team Bath in when Tisdale left to join us?

geoffwp

In all honesty I don't see how the level a young manager is working at can be used as a measure of his competence.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Killick was named Poole boss in 2004 and has a 68% win percentage. They're now in their highest-ever league position. Pretty impressive I'd say. http://www.pooletownfc.co.uk/tom-killick-manager.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
He brought Charlie Austin into Poole town - who went onto score 48 in one season