• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How best to use the Cash?

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Phil, yep working on the ground now has moved on since my days of a fork and a shovel plus a mower that worked about half the week!!!!
In answer to the question about Long Term Structural Debt this refers to the accumulation of hundreds of debts that build up each season from suppliers big and large that the club's cash flow cannot pay. Most of these debts are serviced on an agreed re-payment schedule aside from the ones that have to be paid e.g. National Insurance and VAT. The notion that the club is debt free is a complete fallacy that the accounts bear out. There is therefore a very unsexy use of some of this money reducing the level of structural debt the club has.
That isn't long term structural debt, it's a result of the club's inability to live within its means, despite falsely saying that it does. The club call it "long term structural debt" to make it sound like it's outside their control, when it isn't. They have caused this debt by consistently spending more money than they have received.

Alistair20000

According to the Public Consultation document published in 2011 we started negotiations for a new long term lease of St. James' Park in January 2010.

Going well isn't it. :)
I don't know about "well" but definitely not quickly.

Saint James

That isn't long term structural debt, it's a result of the club's inability to live within its means, despite falsely saying that it does. The club call it "long term structural debt" to make it sound like it's outside their control, when it isn't. They have caused this debt by consistently spending more money than they have received.
Fred, I don't mind how liabilities, structural debt whatever we dress it up as is technically called but my explanation was supposed to be a simplistic way of highlighting how the club has juggled its cash flow due to spending more than we have as you say over the past ten years. Like others I get narked when this debt free mantra is continuously trotted out when that clearly isn't the case.

elginCity

Long Term Structural Debt this refers to the accumulation of hundreds of debts that build up each season from suppliers big and large that the club's cash flow cannot pay.
...and is the very reason why youth development ambitions should be realistic and affordable.

Ashford Grecian

Don't waste it on a 4G pitch please, football should be played on grass....

Saint James

Don't waste it on a 4G pitch please, football should be played on grass....
Not sure there's much grass only mud and water at the C&F hence the need for a 4g training facility :)

John William

football should be played on grass....
"I dunno, I never smoked astroturf" [ attrib. Tug McGraw and Joe Namath, may be apocryphal...]

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
"I dunno, I never smoked astroturf" [ attrib. Tug McGraw and Joe Namath, may be apocryphal...]
Rodney Trotter also said it, but presumably after the others. Just found out at the weekend the gag about Uncle Albert screaming at coming face to face with a lion and wetting himself was recycled.

John William

Rodney Trotter also said it, but presumably after the others. Just found out at the weekend the gag about Uncle Albert screaming at coming face to face with a lion and wetting himself was recycled.
The Tug McGraw quote dates from 1965, so yes, Only Fools and Horses copied him. Apparently George Best also got the line that 80% of his money was spent on women, booze and cars and the rest was squandered from McGraw.

Ashford Grecian

Seriously though lets spend it on booze, birds and fast cars, better than squandering it.....