• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How best to use the Cash?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
On t'other hand though Billy, with the Scummers and the Turkeys squabbling over user rights to the Seale Hayne swampland mightn't a state of the art 4g facility race us miles ahead in the race to secure ongoing prospects?
You would hope so with that being the point of it all. Its just that feeling of what happens to the youth set up on those days when the cupboard is bare. This is Exeter City after all - we're more often in the red than the black - we can't rely on another pay day from selling a player or drawing Liverpool at home, but we can rely on the bills coming in. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe in our youth system but it must be affordable.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
You would hope so with that being the point of it all. Its just that feeling of what happens to the youth set up on those days when the cupboard is bare. This is Exeter City after all - we're more often in the red than the black - we can't rely on another pay day from selling a player or drawing Liverpool at home, but we can rely on the bills coming in. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe in our youth system but it must be affordable.
You misunderstand the youth system and its value. It's not JUST there to bring through the next Grimes - how many players have come through the ranks and gone on to make first team performances? Without them we would have had to go out and sign those players, including paying transfer fees or possibly higher wages.

Local businesses might well be inclined to sponsor the club because of its youth players - I know I did - and people too might well attend games based on youth players playing. Funding, support and sponsorship is all affected by the youth system, and I believe its success can't simply be based on how much we sell those players for.

MerleyRed

I recall that when Matt Grimes was transferred to Swansea the Club confirmed that the money would be received in four 'tranches' and gave a breakdown of the areas where it was planned to be used. One of these areas was investment in a 4G pitch at the Cat & Fiddle. I am not aware that any work has commenced on this project and so would conclude that there was a change of plan and that portion of money is to be used, or has been used elsewhere. It would be interesting to know why this changed.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I recall that when Matt Grimes was transferred to Swansea the Club confirmed that the money would be received in four 'tranches' and gave a breakdown of the areas where it was planned to be used. One of these areas was investment in a 4G pitch at the Cat & Fiddle. I am not aware that any work has commenced on this project and so would conclude that there was a change of plan and that portion of money is to be used, or has been used elsewhere. It would be interesting to know why this changed.
I don't remember any discussion about it being invested in 4g pitches. What was done was an extensive overhaul of some of the pitch out at the C&F including much improved drainage.

MerleyRed

I don't remember any discussion about it being invested in 4g pitches. What was done was an extensive overhaul of some of the pitch out at the C&F including much improved drainage.
I am pretty sure it was all part of the discussion about taking our Academy to the next level and that to achieve that we would need to be investing in a 4G pitch.

DanceMagnet

I would advocate the bulk to go to the Academy to raise its status from Category 3 to Category 2. This would require an indoor artificial pitch and additional staff. It would have huge knock-on benefits for the Club's future and the kudos of Trust ownership in terms of media publicity and general progress.
Not that long ago we were borrowing money from the PFA to pay players' wages and you think the club would be able to sustain a cat2 academy. How long would that last after the next downturn? The club has had pretty good results from the existing youth setup in recent years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. What guarantees can you make that raising the status is going to improve things and be sustainable in the long term?

MerleyRed

I have just found this exert from a Western Morning News article on the Grimes transfer dated Dec 31st 2014.

"The second tranche would be to underpin the ambition of the club to become a category two academy. Currently a category three club, our facilities at the Cat and Fiddle training ground prevent our academy progressing to the next level. Indoor and rubber-crumb facilities are desperately needed and provision of such facilities would not only improve our youth players but significantly benefit our highly respected Football in the Community charity operation, and, last but by no means least, our first-team squad, who are currently making significant headway."

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Just looked up any outstanding planning applications for the Cat and Fiddle, but I can't see any.

MerleyRed

Just looked up any outstanding planning applications for the Cat and Fiddle, but I can't see any.
Either things are moving extremely slowly on this front, or there has been a change of direction. The absence of any planning application would suggest the latter.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
We haven't rec'd all the grimes money yet though. I believe the squad third was made available to Tisdale second half of last season and this one so expect the later installments are mainly going to the academy. Quite possible something is planned for when we have the cash.