• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Histories of St James Park

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Must be proud that your Grandad played for City (y)
Very. It was only a handful of games - I think home and away to Newport plus home to Reading at least - but he soon gave up thoughts of being a professional footballer as he could earn a lot more as a delivery driver in and around Exeter!

Oldsmobile-88

That's what I remember being told.
The linesman was attacked from the Cowshed at the end of the game.The ref was jostled but was protected by the players.
That game was the final home fixture at SJP at the end of April & not to be confused with the Autoglass Area Final which was mentioned & played 2 weeks previously

IndoMike

Very. It was only a handful of games - I think home and away to Newport plus home to Reading at least - but he soon gave up thoughts of being a professional footballer as he could earn a lot more as a delivery driver in and around Exeter!
That's the way it was in those days: not a great career. Still, he's part of City history.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Don’t know why I hadn’t seen this thread before. Spoonz, if that video had used the 1921-22 season team photo as a cover instead of the 1920-21 season one, my grandfather would have been in that picture :)

Which one is your Grandfather? Would you or anyone else in your family be able to identify any of the other players? The Grecian History Group are interested!

Antony Moxey

Bottom row, second from the left. Henry Wilson he’s called - he’s my mum’s dad - and I believe is listed in the club’s A-Z book (I think penned by Mike Blackstone?). Probably 30 years ago now I submitted that photo to the E&E sports department which they printed in the paper asking if anyone had any information about other players.

A chap I think called Fisher travelled up from Exmouth (I was still living at home in Exeter) with bucketloads of files and was able to identify a number of the other players. I’m not sure where that info is now - probably in the loft somewhere - but more sadly the chap who came round I think died a number of years ago.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
A chap I think called Fisher travelled up from Exmouth (I was still living at home in Exeter) with bucketloads of files and was able to identify a number of the other players. I’m not sure where that info is now - probably in the loft somewhere - but more sadly the chap who came round I think died a number of years ago.
Dave Fisher I think? I've got a City history book of his at home somewhere. Yes, he died a few years back.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Antony Moxey

That is superb Hants, thanks for posting that up :)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
That is superb Hants, thanks for posting that up :)
Hope this works, but here is a pdf of the match report.

View attachment exeter_plymouth_argyle_261221.pdf

The team that day was

1 Harry Fryer
2 Richard Gaskell
3 Bob Stewart
4 Ellis Crompton
5 Jimmy Mitton
6 Henry Wilson
7 Frank Newman
8 Percy Hill
9 Eli Bullock
10 Charlie Vowles
11 John Dockray

Managed by the great Arthur Chadwick.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

12,000 crowd! Despite the score it seems granddad had a decent game. Great find that Hants.