• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Help needed re St Sidwell’s United and old ‘Tom Oliver’s’ Book

Martin Weiler

That is brilliant Adam. Thank you. And thank you Exeweb!

Bide Grecian

Hi Martin,
As I thought, neither my Dad or Uncle are aware of the existence of a book that belonged to Tom Oliver, so the information that surfaced back in 2008 will not have come from them.
Sorry I can't help further on this.

Martin Weiler

Thanks for checking this out Adam. It's all very strange. These were the relevant bits of the two messages posted on Exeweb by Cameraman back in 2008:

First message:

When I was researching the history for my Centenary DVD in 2003/2004, the 'Oliver' brothers, who had the hospitality box behing the videoing Gantry/Podium, kindly loaned me 'the book' written by their uncle Tom Oliver, one of four men who inhabited the 'DRUM&DONKEY pub, and reputed to be the founders of Exeter City when they changed the name from Sidwell Street Old Boys, and the strip from Green and White hoops. to the present Red and White.

Second message:

As I mentioned earlier, the explaination is recorded in old 'Tom Oliver's' book which he still has and treasures.

The two brothers are ardent North Devon Grecians, the book is a hard cover version and uncovers the history of Exeter City.

I've read it, and so has Mark Tyler I think along with several of Exeter City's staff.

You are quite right to want to put the record straight, as the question has been asked several times.

Not only does it examine the clubs begginnings it also describes the clubs Brazilian adventure in great depth, and some might say that Exeter City introduced organised 'Football' into Brazil in 1914, which was commerated at SJP (90years) on our Centenary.

Does this jog any memories? It would be so good to track this 'book' down.

Boyo

Thanks for checking this out Adam. It's all very strange. These were the relevant bits of the two messages posted on Exeweb by Cameraman back in 2008:

First message:

When I was researching the history for my Centenary DVD in 2003/2004, the 'Oliver' brothers, who had the hospitality box behing the videoing Gantry/Podium, kindly loaned me 'the book' written by their uncle Tom Oliver, one of four men who inhabited the 'DRUM&DONKEY pub, and reputed to be the founders of Exeter City when they changed the name from Sidwell Street Old Boys, and the strip from Green and White hoops. to the present Red and White.

Second message:

As I mentioned earlier, the explaination is recorded in old 'Tom Oliver's' book which he still has and treasures.

The two brothers are ardent North Devon Grecians, the book is a hard cover version and uncovers the history of Exeter City.

I've read it, and so has Mark Tyler I think along with several of Exeter City's staff.

You are quite right to want to put the record straight, as the question has been asked several times.

Not only does it examine the clubs begginnings it also describes the clubs Brazilian adventure in great depth, and some might say that Exeter City introduced organised 'Football' into Brazil in 1914, which was commerated at SJP (90years) on our Centenary.

Fascinating stuff. Who was/is Cameraman?

Nigel E

Fascinating stuff. Who was/is Cameraman?
For a while he operated the camera at the Park I think, as he had had a YouTube channel which he posted stuff on:

Hasn't been updated for 9 years, and he had his own website which is also defunct - so it's not certain he's still "with us".

Interestingly, there's footage of the womens international played at the Park, which I hadn't seen before:

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
For a while he operated the camera at the Park I think, as he had had a YouTube channel which he posted stuff on:

Hasn't been updated for 9 years, and he had his own website which is also defunct - so it's not certain he's still "with us".

Interestingly, there's footage of the womens international played at the Park, which I hadn't seen before:

I have vague memories that he may have lived over Exminster way. A one man band that used to produce vhs videos and then dvds for the Club and Trust. He supplied us with some to sell through the Trust's "Far Post" shop in Princesshay prior to the redevelopment. The conduit was organised by former commercial manager Trevor Gilbrey who is still "local" and may be able to fill in some details ?

Bide Grecian

First message:

Second message:

Hi Martin,
I'm sorry, I'd love to be able to help, but wherever the book came from, it's wasn't from us I'm afraid.
Hope you manage to track it down.
Adam