• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Have we gone about as far as we can go ?

Red Monster

A big part of the chiefs success is the facilities at Sandy Park if they
were still at the county ground even those they are playing top flight rugby
i bet there crowds would be 50% lower.

If we get a brand new spanking grandstand holding 3-4k i bet our gates would
be up 25% over a season with our current playing squad.

Not sure how we are going to fund it maybe the Council would incorparate
flats/apartments at the back of the stand, with a view over the railway lines that would be a winner.

ecfctis

Big 'if' Chris.

The last two seasons we've played some of the best football I've seen from any City team, it really is good to watch and sporting locals are well aware of that by now. Throw in 2 Wembley visits and promotion to the mix too.

With the likes of Leeds, Norwich, Southampton, Huddersfield and Charlton playing us in the league at the Park, we're still averaging a crowd that's over three thousand shy of capacity in our existing little ground.

Supporters can only do so much, like encouraging a friend, but if this team doesn't capture the imagination of East Devon football fans enough to want to watch regularly, I can't imagine what will.
Exactly, and how bloody sad it is. This is the major reason why we have reached our limit and will be our limiting factor for the foreseeable future.
Unless of course somebody at ECFC can 'unlock' the local community in the style of Norwich - but imho can't see it! I return to what I have thought for many years, does Exeter as a City actually deserve a better football club and team in higher leagues, because much of the local population don't deserve
it due to its general lethargy to the club!

Chris Phillips

So I guess that's it then - established League 1 with a bit of luck.

Of course your ground will be a major issue if you are to seriously think about promotion.

We were able to keep the Mayflower terrace standing for 3 seasons under special dispensation. If you plan to stick around, you'll need to get that sorted. Once you've put seats in you aren't to return to terracing. So by my estimation you'll lose 3,000 off your capacity there and then.

Your playing budget is tiny even by League 1 standards, so if you are serious about Championship football then the clubs guardians need to sit down and have a serious think. Because you won't get enough match day revenue and some of your existing players may well be asking for improved terms.

Personally, and I know I would say this. Exeter could not support championship football, its a bridge too far. We scarcely could, most of the clubs have gates of 20,000+ and several are still getting parachute payments.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Of course your ground will be a major issue if you are to seriously think about promotion.

We were able to keep the Mayflower terrace standing for 3 seasons under special dispensation. If you plan to stick around, you'll need to get that sorted. Once you've put seats in you aren't to return to terracing. So by my estimation you'll lose 3,000 off your capacity there and then.

Your playing budget is tiny even by League 1 standards, so if you are serious about Championship football then the clubs guardians need to sit down and have a serious think. Because you won't get enough match day revenue and some of your existing players may well be asking for improved terms.

Personally, and I know I would say this. Exeter could not support championship football, its a bridge too far. We scarcely could, most of the clubs have gates of 20,000+ and several are still getting parachute payments.
not quite, we might lose up to 2k from seating the bank, if stand put at away end it would hold at least the 1053 it does now(probably slightly more) and the bank would wait until it had to be done. The away end & old grandstand is the priority.

it would be a tough ask but not impossible looking at scunthorpe.

can't see the question needs to be a problem however, you just try and finish as high as you can and if we get to play offs and go up give it a go. if we live within means the worse is we are not good enough and come down like peterborough. it would only be a problem if we offer silly deals and come down with a squad we can't afford

not quite, we might lose up to 2k from seating the bank, if stand put at away end it would hold at least the 1053 it does now(probably slightly more) and the bank would wait until it had to be done. The away end & old grandstand is the priority.

it would be a tough ask but not impossible looking at scunthorpe.

can't see the question needs to be a problem however, you just try and finish as high as you can and if we get to play offs and go up give it a go. if we live within means the worse is we are not good enough and come down like peterborough. it would only be a problem if we offer silly deals and come down with a squad we can't afford
Your problem being that you don't really have the room to replace the grandstand and away end, you'd have to be looking at a new ground or improving Sandy Park.

I agree with what you say about doing your best to get promoted, but what can happen is that a bad season in a higher division can demoralise the support. You want to get promoted but you want to be competetive at the very least.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Your problem being that you don't really have the room to replace the grandstand and away end, you'd have to be looking at a new ground or improving Sandy Park.

I agree with what you say about doing your best to get promoted, but what can happen is that a bad season in a higher division can demoralise the support. You want to get promoted but you want to be competetive at the very least.
We have created a fair amount more room to replace the away end, and I believe our footprint for the OG isn't too bad either - the one major problem being the railway line.

Capacity-wise, we wouldn't do too badly out of putting seats in the Big Bank. It was designed and built in such a way that seats could be bolted in at minimal cost, and I suggest we could get a fair few more than 1500 seats in there (but I'm no architect, so what do I know?).

There is certainly scope to turn SJP into a ground holding up to around 15,000, should the need arise. This is plenty.

Poultice

Personally, and I know I would say this. Exeter could not support championship football, its a bridge too far. We scarcely could, most of the clubs have gates of 20,000+
For most read 8 out of 24, although only one side currently has an average of less than our capacity.

On the other hand, "We are no ordinary Football Club". There is a different way of doing it and we are in the vanguard, it could take all day to list the clubs that have bigger grounds and better potential support than us that are still below us in the League, one in particular immediately leaps to mind.

Our turnover would instantly double to 8 million were we to get promoted, if 4 is enough to get you up then 8 should be enough to give you a fighting chance of staying there.

Clear the OG and build the biggest covered terrace that will fit, then stick up a temp stand on the away end a la the Gas. Capacity up to around 11,000, plenty of atmos, sorted.

Simples.

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
For most read 8 out of 24, although only one side currently has an average of less than our capacity.

On the other hand, "We are no ordinary Football Club". There is a different way of doing it and we are in the vanguard, it could take all day to list the clubs that have bigger grounds and better potential support than us that are still below us in the League, one in particular immediately leaps to mind.

Our turnover would instantly double to 8 million were we to get promoted, if 4 is enough to get you up then 8 should be enough to give you a fighting chance of staying there.

Clear the OG and build the biggest covered terrace that will fit, then stick up a temp stand on the away end a la the Gas. Capacity up to around 11,000, plenty of atmos, sorted.

Simples.
Stirring stuff Sir Poulitce, has cheered up an otherwise mundane Monday afternoon.

With regard to the terrace (and I am as keen as you to become as close to a St Pauli-style atmospher as we can get), wouldn't we have to turn this into seating if we remained in the Championship for a few seasons?

Poultice

Stirring stuff Sir Poulitce, has cheered up an otherwise mundane Monday afternoon.

With regard to the terrace (and I am as keen as you to become as close to a St Pauli-style atmospher as we can get), wouldn't we have to turn this into seating if we remained in the Championship for a few seasons?
If our major concern is what to do about the ground because we have been in the Championship for three years, then I think I can live with that.