• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Have Exeter City overtaken the Exeter Chiefs as the No1 Sports Team in Exeter?

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
they are among the best in the country while we are not in the top 50 in our sport
They are among the best in the country IN THEIR SPORT but its a less popular sport than ours.
Most Championship clubs are bigger than the Chiefs.

They do some things well, corporates love them because they have more space than we do, and it has a more 'wholesome' image, despite the players faking blood and tackling around the neck...

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I went once because I had a free hospitality ticket.

1- I don't like the over friendly atmosphere. Applauding the opposition when they score is odd to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see hooliganism but you can't beat a bit of a tribal atmosphere
2- It's expensive. Think I bought a beer and a burger at half time and I didn't get much change out of £20.
3- The game is slow, it's so stop start and the most exciting thing that can happen is someone putting a ball down behind a line.
4- I don't get it. You look across the pitch, there is a pile of about 10 blokes, the ref blows his whistle and you have no idea why.
3 and 4. That's how I felt. A couple of my housemates were watching the world cup a few years ago and I watched the last twenty minutes. Literally nothing happened. It's probably still the number 1 sport in exeter but I could never get the same buzz I get from watching football.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ask anyone who is not an ECFC fan about this who knows about both sports and they would laugh that we would even dream this is true.

Ian Tarr

Ask anyone who is not an ECFC fan about this who knows about both sports and they would laugh that we would even dream this is true.
The gap is undeniably closing, however......

JayPob94

I don't think so. A few years ago the chiefs were the best team in Europe.

JCWhoosh

I saw a huge fight at the chiefs once. Then apparently a rugby game broke out.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think so. A few years ago the chiefs were the best team in Europe.
Doing the double was an outstanding achievement, but things haven't gone too well since - and they've now lost most of their stars.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rugby big in Lisbon is it?

All I see is City shirts in town, with the occasional Chiefs family who have driven in to shop at John Lewis

Whilst the national papers might give the Chiefs more column inches, the people of Exeter - I truly believe are more attached to the football club than the rugby club.

Football is our national sport and the world's game, nothing compares to it least of all that "sport"

Last edited:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rugby big in Lisbon is it?

All I see is City shirts in town, with the occasional Chiefs family who have driven in to shop at John Lewis
Agree with this. I've noticed a lot of City shirts in recent weeks/months but not so many Chiefs shirts - unless I don't notice them because I don't care about them.

jimmy

A quick Google suggests that the average senior player for Chiefs gets £120k a year.

I know that's not an exact indicator for the question but £2.5k a week is probably similar to a first team city player.

I think, as institutions, the two are not too dissimilar in size!