• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hartlepool United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

AL_Yates

OK after 5 hours sleep just got up after the game. We had chances and we hit the post. Tactically they did their homework. At times we were slow to start attacks from defense and they pressed very well. This led to many wayward passes and we did not play to the conditions. It was windy and we did not get our slick passing game going. The pitch was really good and did not look to cause issues with passing. At times in the first half we broke them down well, but the final third was poor. Disappointed not to see Matt Jay in that game. His energy and pressing would have helped us no end. The second half despite hitting the post we did not threaten until after they scored. We had a 5 minute spell where we battered their goal, bums, deflections and a good save kept them out. After the goal we looked leggy and were impacted by the two yellow card sending off for Sparkes, which was harsh to say the least. No complaints the best team won. Clearly we lacked some energy in midfield and we dont have that player to get us out of trouble with a touch of brilliance. That said we can now focus on the league and we made some money.

As for my fellow fans we sang loads and we tried, I trust everyone got back safe, my third trip to Hartlepool. Maybe getting older it seemed a long way in the motorway spray near Leeds. Night closures on the M1 did not help either. People do travel at night! Thanks for the letter ECFC.

UTC Salford next.

Al

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dear Exewebbers. If I understood it correctly at recent Trust AGM our club needs finance from good cup run (aka Man U) or promotion or sell another player (aka Grimes) in next 2 seasons to survive with current playing budget intact. Although didn't see game at Victoria Park did listen on Radio Devon, saw home game and read comments here / on Twitter. Given what I've seen / heard / read I'm currently uncertain if non-academy players new to club really understand importance of FACup run to future of our fan owned club.

Howeveri I am certain that the City Family need to stick together now to avoid the start of a downward spiral we fought so hard to get out of. To show solidarity with the owners perhaps players would consider repaying the 69 proper fans who went to Hartlepool their ticket costs ?

Somehow we need to make sure that players are aware of how important promotion is to the survival of our fan owned club - I for one can't go through the dark days again. UTC

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Howeveri I am certain that the City Family need to stick together now to avoid the start of a downward spiral we fought so hard to get out of. To show solidarity with the owners perhaps players would consider repaying the 69 proper fans who went to Hartlepool their ticket costs ?
Gesture already made £20 voucher at club shop to pick up

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hang onto your match tickets..£20 voucher available

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Obssessed? I don't see that at all. I expect a bare minimum standard from all players of ECFC and Bowman is the only one who I don't feel gives me that. As he fails to live up to expectations on a regular basis then he gets pulled up for it on a regular basis. Would fans be in conflict and be having the Bowman debate if Bowman got his finger out of his arse crack and scored some goals? No. We'd be forgiving him a few barren games and crediting him for his contributions in the other games. There is a debate about him because he doesn't do what it says on the tin.

No obsession here. I just don't feel compelled to support a player who I don't feel justifies the support simply because he has an Exeter shirt on. You have to earn support and respect.
I have to say that I haven't seen any lack of effort from Bowman in the games I've watched on iFollow and from interviews and his body language during games I don't think anyone is more frustrated by his lack of goals than he is.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gesture already made £20 voucher at club shop to pick up
Great news - social media too quick for me ! Still feel we need to ensure we get financial importance of promotion over to players in the hope we see more of the chances we create put away as clinically as we did v Cobblers & team 40 miles West of SJP. UTC

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK after 5 hours sleep just got up after the game. We had chances and we hit the post. Tactically they did their homework. At times we were slow to start attacks from defense and they pressed very well. This led to many wayward passes and we did not play to the conditions. It was windy and we did not get our slick passing game going. The pitch was really good and did not look to cause issues with passing. At times in the first half we broke them down well, but the final third was poor. Disappointed not to see Matt Jay in that game. His energy and pressing would have helped us no end. The second half despite hitting the post we did not threaten until after they scored. We had a 5 minute spell where we battered their goal, bums, deflections and a good save kept them out. After the goal we looked leggy and were impacted by the two yellow card sending off for Sparkes, which was harsh to say the least. No complaints the best team won. Clearly we lacked some energy in midfield and we dont have that player to get us out of trouble with a touch of brilliance. That said we can now focus on the league and we made some money.

As for my fellow fans we sang loads and we tried, I trust everyone got back safe, my third trip to Hartlepool. Maybe getting older it seemed a long way in the motorway spray near Leeds. Night closures on the M1 did not help either. People do travel at night! Thanks for the letter ECFC.

UTC Salford next.

Al
Al - well done on being a proper Grecian! UTC

Legohead

Banned
What a club this is. Proper club who cares about it's fans. Superb and I for one am proud that our club has even recognised the effort made by fans last night let alone compensated with what is a decent offer. It wouldn't even feature on most clubs radar the fact that their fans had trekked to the other end of the country in appalling conditions to see their team capitulate against a non league side. They wouldn't even bat an eyelid because they don't care or don't think about others and the fact that club and fans are as one. Gestures like this are why we are number 1 for fan engagement and it's really as simply as people at the club just giving a toss about us. Which they do.

Made me feel a lot better about the defeat now even though I wasn't there last night. As a club we are strong together.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What a superb gesture. Not needed, you pay your money, you take your choice, but superb recognition of the hardy 69.

Legohead

Banned
What a superb gesture. Not needed, you pay your money, you take your choice, but superb recognition of the hardy 69.
I agree. You pay your money you take your choice but gestures like this help reinforce the bond and appreciation between both club and fans. It may only be a gesture but I feel it's this kind of thing that is missing at most clubs and is part of why there is so much disconnect between clubs and fans.