• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hartlepool, desperate or stupid

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Having signed Nobby Solano the Pools bosses seem intent on giving him a crowd to play in front of so they have priced their season tickets at £100 for adults and £50 for kids. Couple of caveats, money has to be paid by July 15th and the take up has to exceed 4000.

They averaged 2933 last season and have been in a bit of a downward spiral attendance wise for some time so 4k would seem a tad adventurous, but even if they achieved the target this would garner just 400k in total revenue, last seasons average would have been up near a million pounds so they could be looking at taking 600k or so out of their turnover. Obviously there would be the issue of away support which would still be separate and chargeable at normal prices but I don't imagine they get a lot travelling fans being pretty much the middle of nowhere and with the 3rd div being Southern biased last season.

Perhaps someone can explain this to me cos in my book it is just plain stupid.

Grecian2K

Perhaps they're trying to finally entice back the French Monkey Market?

DJH2005

Gambling on the punters spending a big chunk inside the ground?

Risky business.

Che

Sinking ship imo and wouldn't be surprised if they ended up going the same was as Argyle.

Poultice

Gambling on the punters spending a big chunk inside the ground?
Pie and a pint, what else ?

Seriously deprived area, I should have thought they would need to fleece the supporters who have actually got a few quid, exactly like us, the extra who turn up because it was cheap ain't gonna be big spenders.

elginCity

Interesting question.

Appears the owners (a successful Aberdeen oil company) have been making substantial losses, many millions, with the monkey hangers. This over many years so you have to wonder why.

They're desperate to buy the ground from the council too, long running saga, and it's nice and near the docks. Maybe that's not so stupid long term.

My theory is they are moving from oil into the wind turbine industry, wind farms springing up off Teeside currently getting heavy euro subsidies, and they're getting in position for when the black gold runs out.

Anyone else got any other half-baked, far-fetched theories about what's going on ooop there?!

Oldsmobile-88

Interesting question.

Appears the owners (a successful Aberdeen oil company) have been making substantial losses, many millions, with the monkey hangers. This over many years so you have to wonder why.
A couple of Hartlepool supporters were telling me that on a visit to Victora Park last season...Probably some sort of wheeze around tax....

Hartlepool were only 15 minutes away from the Championship in 2006,incredible given the size of the club...

Grecian2K

Hartlepool were only 15 minutes away from the Championship in 2006,incredible given the size of the club...
Could (almost) have been us in 2011 Russ? *-)
Never wish for what you can't afford, eh.

DJH2005

Pie and a pint, what else ?
Another pie and a pint? ;)

Poundstretcher

If less than 4,000 sign up for the STs, do they then all commit to paying full price? That's where the money could be...