• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Lee and Sonny Cox - sign professional contracts

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
You may indeed be right, CB, but if that's true it's the same terminology they used when attempting to keep hold of Ethan and Jay. If they are indeed only scholars, then presumably the dreaded EPPP still applies? :(
IIRC we offered Ethan a pro contract on his 17th birthday, he rejected it and signed for Chelsea the same day.

Ian Tarr

EPPP does not apply in this circumstance as they have signed contracts with ECFC. If another club wants to sign them, they will have to pay a fee that meets our valuation of the player(s).
This was also what I originally understood, Martin. But then I did some googling (after being put right by CB), and everywhere it says that pro contracts can only be signed at 17. So as one in the know, what sort of contracts would they have actually signed?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
IIRC we offered Ethan a pro contract on his 17th birthday, he rejected it and signed for Chelsea the same day.
He went when he left school at 16

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
He went when he left school at 16
My memory is getting worse.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yours and mine both

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It happens

Colesman Ballz

Ethan had already moved to Chelsea, the Tribunal had met and decided the fee long before Ethan's 17th birthday and he was their player.

Pobbop

Great news, oh and I think Cox will play a fair amount of matches, if he really is as good as people say, forwards often get game time at that age.

Rosencrantz

I think it would be a scholarship contract initially with the pro contract kicking in on their 17th birthdays. Plenty of PL clubs (and others probably) do that kind of deal to attract the kids in demand to their club. The important thing though is that they are both registered with the club and cannot at this stage be whipped away for peanuts.

The club can do no more than they have at this stage and it is a massive effort to have just got to the stage where the boys are registered and have the opportunity of wearing the red and white shirt in anger and we have the opportunity to see them play first team football.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ethan had already moved to Chelsea, the Tribunal had met and decided the fee long before Ethan's 17th birthday and he was their player.
Ethan signed for Chelsea on July 1st 2017, turned 17 on September 14 and the tribunal finally met in April 2018.