• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harrogate discussion thread (Postponed to Tuesday 19th Jan)

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
And played their home games elsewhere in the meantime.
The Keepmoat.

PeteUSA

Thanks fella's, it had me worried for a minute. I dont ever want to go back to fake pitches. What a failed experiment that was! Luton Town, Preston, QPR etc.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks fella's, it had me worried for a minute. I dont ever want to go back to fake pitches. What a failed experiment that was! Luton Town, Preston, QPR etc.
In principle I sympathise, but 4G pitches are getting better and better all the time; they are worlds apart from the plastic pitches of yore. A friend has recently been instrumental in getting one installed in his locality (took ages and lots of fund raising, lobbying and negotiation, and cost nearer £900K than the under £700K for ours) but he tells me it is fantastic, the quality is improving all the time, and in the not too distant future attitudes may change.

In the meantime hybrid pitches are probably going to be needed by all EFL clubs. I hope we can fund one sooner rather than later.

Red Devon

andrew p long

Added to which there is a yellow warning of flooding with a 'risk to life' in some areas of Yorkshire.

Doesn't look good. I hope they cleared the snow off the pitch and covers before it melted...

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Added to which there is a yellow warning of flooding with a 'risk to life' in some areas of Yorkshire.

Doesn't look good. I hope they cleared the snow off the pitch and covers before it melted...
Looks like the only discussion is going to be what time will the game be called off. Presumably the team are planning to travel up early tomorrow morning so as long as a decision is made today it won't be too disruptive.

Colesman Ballz

Looks like the only discussion is going to be what time will the game be called off. Presumably the team are planning to travel up early tomorrow morning so as long as a decision is made today it won't be too disruptive.
I would have expected the team to have travelled up today and stayed overnight. It is a darn sight more difficult to win if you make a long journey on the same day and then play.

Boyo

Friday afternoon? The game was scheduled to be played on Saturday.
If they'd waited until we'd travelled and called it off at 14:00 on Saturday, you'd be the first person to moan.

The reality is that Devon has just about the mildest climate in the UK. Places like Harrogate, which incidentally is 200m above sea level (compared to Exeter's 10m) and is a bleedy long way north, are prone to a higher frequency of freezing temperatures and more snowfall. Consequently the chances of football matches being postponed are increased.

Legohead

Banned
The met Office forecast is slightly more forgiving ( and usually a lot more accurate) than the beeb, so I'm hopeful the game will go ahead. Although heavy rain for much of the afternoon at least is a near certainty.

Not sure how Harrogates pitch holds up to lots of water. If it had been at Donny then I'd be more confident I guess that the game would go ahead.

malcolms

I would have expected the team to have travelled up today and stayed overnight. It is a darn sight more difficult to win if you make a long journey on the same day and then play.
Going back, there were only 3 or 4 games in the season when the team stayed overnight...Oddly enough, the worst performances were sometimes after they had.