• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Half time team talk......

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
These players get paid way too much
I disagree. They get paid what market forces dictate. If every club in the world decided they weren't going to pay more than £1000 a week, then that's what they'd get paid, but because clubs pander to their demands then so wages skyrocketed through the roof.

I don't blame them though - if you don't ask you don't get, and there aren't many on here who'd turn down a five figure weekly salary if offered.

Poultice

Well Tony Adams and Roy Keane personify the hard man approach in my view and they don't seem to be doing too well.

I like Brown but this was risky, if he has judged his players wrongly then he could lose his job when they react badly, I hope they take their medicine and knuckle down to the task of busting open the myth that is the Premiership.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
I like Brown but this was risky, if he has judged his players wrongly then he could lose his job when they react badly.
I agree. These days if the players don't like the manager they have the power to oust them from their position, you only have to look at what happened at Spurs with Ramos.

elginCity

Well Tony Adams and Roy Keane personify the hard man approach in my view.
Interestingly both of your examples Poult were warriors and led by example on the field, but both are renowned loners off the field. Neither relate easily to people, not good if you're a manager in any business.

Successful hard-nosed managers who've earned the respect of their players, like Clough, Shankly or Ferguson, could have probably got away with the Brown method. Not convinced Brown himself can, without losing the dressing room.

Last edited:
I think using keane as an example ******** is wrong, Keane was a very succesfull manager at sunderland, taking them to the top of the championship from the bottom and keeping them in the premier league, I think keanes main problem with the club was the fans, they wouldnt get off of his back. He took them to as far as they could go and is a superb manager. Tony adams hasnt been succesful though.

I think phil brown is a superb manager, with a team like hull it isnt about playing football because they simply cant compete with the 'big boys' when it comes to playing football, he has done a superb job with hull and I think what he has done with hull making them sit on the pitch for a team talk was inspirational and it worked, they drew 1-1 in the second half even though they lost 5-1 overall.

finetime

I think its brilliant. I love the hard man approach to management. These players get paid way too much and the loyal fans had to travel miles and spend a fortune to support the team. Being 4 - 0 down at half time isnt good enough and if he feels a stern talking to infront of the fans is needed then so be it. I take my hat off to him.
How on earth was it "Hard Man"?

Do you really think the footballers give a sh*t? I'm sure they're ****** off to lose because they are competitive sportsmen but come on...they're still picking up their thousands a week win lose or draw. Sitting on the pitch for 10 minutes at half time is hardly a severe punishment, is it?

If he was a really hard man Brown would have made them do a 12 mile run down the Humber Estuary the following morning with a 20kg pack on each of their backs.

Phil Brown also thinks Robinho has been amazing since joining Citeh and if anyone can be a bargain at £32.5m, he is it. Phil Brown thanks god chelski didn't sign him or they'd be unstoppable!

Poundstretcher

It's a massive, massive gamble to take and runs the risk of ruining Hull's season be generating blame and divisions. Of course the bollocking has its place, in all levels of sport - hell, I've used it at youth level - but taking it out onto the public domain like that meant it was something other than the privacy of motivation.

tisdale 1

Resigned
Really? Do you think the players deliberately set out to be rubbish yesterday, or perhaps they were just completely done by a cracking looking Man City side who broke at speed, passed quickly and accurately and finished in no little style? Or maybe they've been playing way above their abilities and of late are beginning to be found out?

Maybe, Geovanni apart, they aren't actually that good at all and are getting exactly what their play deserves? I quite like Finetime's view, and the fact that Brown was assistant to Allardyce at Bolton for years says quite a bit.
yes alot of credit needs to go to man city for playing very well and yes maybe hull did get found out.But what a like about it is his old school approach to management and he also took the fans into mind.

The way to look at it is would brown have done that if it was not the christmas weekend? or if it was 3-0 down,but for having the balls to do it well done.

he seems to be doing the same thing as capello and england keeps himself not so matey with the players and maybe that is why the have done so well.

ecfcandy

it made me larf when i watched it!!

Poundstretcher

Doesn't look like it's been a good call in the long run, eh?