• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ground redevelopment?

Terryhall

So are you seriously saying that as a professional football club, you'd rather that ECFC spend 100k a year on renting access to someone else's training facility, rather than spending the same amount on having our own training facility and maintaining it? Seriously?

And not only that, but that upgrading the away end of the ground is more important and better investment for the club? Seriously?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
So are you seriously saying that as a professional football club, you'd rather that ECFC spend 100k a year on renting access to someone else's training facility, rather than spending the same amount on having our own training facility and maintaining it? Seriously?

And not only that, but that upgrading the away end of the ground is more important and better investment for the club? Seriously?
What I'm saying is that the Trust, as majority shareholder, should have been aware of the full financial effects of this development in relation to everything else that needs to be done relative to where we will stand for x number of years in the future. Only then can you decide if this is a cost effective option. And how do you know that we spend £100k a year on renting?

From a personal point of view I would always develop the main stadium first. The amount spent on this pitch would have gone a long way towards purchasing the freehold of SJP. It's a bit like buying a home instead of a car. I made sure I was mortgage free by the time I was 35. I did without having a car in my early married life and the decent cars came along later as a result of having a stable financial base.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I made sure I was mortgage free by the time I was 35
Crikey, the previous generations really did have it better!

Terryhall

What I'm saying is that the Trust, as majority shareholder, should have been aware of the full financial effects of this development in relation to everything else that needs to be done relative to where we will stand for x number of years in the future. Only then can you decide if this is a cost effective option. And how do you know that we spend £100k a year on renting?

From a personal point of view I would always develop the main stadium first. The amount spent on this pitch would have gone a long way towards purchasing the freehold of SJP. It's a bit like buying a home instead of a car. I made sure I was mortgage free by the time I was 35. I did without having a car in my early married life and the decent cars came along later as a result of having a stable financial base.
I was replying to DanceMagnet's posts and quoting the figures he used (and which you considered to be "good research")

To use your analogy, developing our own 3G pitch rather than renting someone else's, is like buying and renovating a house rather than renting a room in someone else's HMO.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was replying to DanceMagnet's posts and quoting the figures he used (and which you considered to be "good research")

To use your analogy, developing our own 3G pitch rather than renting someone else's, is like buying and renovating a house rather than renting a room in someone else's HMO.
In terms of the analogy the 3G pitch is the car, not the house.

Terryhall

So you'd rather rent an item (3G pitch/car) rather than buy one, because you'd rather buy another item (away end/house)

If your 3G pitch is the car, then at least compare apples to apples - should the club buy a car, or rent a car in your scenario?

Given the opportunity to both buy a 3G pitch/car, AND buy an away end/house, why would you not do both?

citizen

Not sure I would buy a car /3G Pitch,if my wages (Home attendances /income) were reducing year on year ,due to poor performances etc.
There is a case which DM is raising with reference to the 4G pitch and Academy and potential cost.
IF we fall out of the League, the improvements at the C&f will be a white elephant I suspect.
The work on the OG is essential , I`m not sure the other items are ,until the Club has a solid plan on and off the pitch going forward.
In my humble opinion.
Of course I would like to see ambitious plans going forward,but thats not what I`m seeing .
The improvements at the ground seem to be make do and cheap and cheerful,
as for the C&f it seems plans seem to be magnifying something a Championship club would require.
Very unbalanced . UTC.

Last edited:

Terryhall

Not sure I would buy a car /3G Pitch,if my wages (Home attendances /income) were reducing year on year ,due to poor performances etc.
There is a case which DM is raising with reference to the 4G pitch and Academy and potential cost.
IF we fall out of the League, the improvements at the C&f will be a white elephant I suspect.
The work on the OG is essential , I`m not sure the other items are ,until the Club has a solid plan on and off the pitch going forward.
In my humble opinion.
Of course I would like to see ambitious plans going forward,but thats not what I`m seeing .
The improvements at the ground seem to be make do and cheap and cheerful,
as for the C&f it seems plans seem to be magnifying something a Championship club would require.
Very unbalanced . UTC.
I agree with you on the OG, but the point raised seems to be that we should not develop the C&F and instead spend that money on the away end - that's where I'm struggling to agree.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree with you on the OG, but the point raised seems to be that we should not develop the C&F and instead spend that money on the away end - that's where I'm struggling to agree.
The point you are missing is that the Trust should be dictating to Tisdale what we spend money on rather than the way it actually happens. And yes I do blame the Trust for allowing Tisdale and the Club to get away with it.

You also seem to be obsessed with the away end. However the money applied to the 3G pitch could have been employed in far more productive ways like(as I mentioned before) the purchase of the freehold of SJP or towards the redevelopment of the St. James' Centre/Fountains Centre and car park area. That in turn, in combination with an appropriate enabling scheme, would not only provide further immediate ground/hospitality improvements but also generate future additional off field income. This would provide the stable financial base that the Club so desperately needs.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pretty confused about this. Why are city buying cars? I thought tizzer got his motors from vauxhall?

Last edited: