• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grecian Travel season ticket

Bondy

Exeter - views are my own and not representative o
OK this is not my idea but I just wanted to gauge some opinion.

It has been suggested that Grecian Travel could open a season ticket scheme where if you are going to every game away you can pay a lump sum at the start of the season to secure your seat on the coach which saves you having to book each time and a possible associated discount.

A spin off could be ten games for a set price although all this would have to be costed and I am a bit worried that admin costs may outweigh income.

What do people think?

Rog H K

The thought is good Ian but in practice I don't think it would work. The trouble with this would be not knowing the away trips; we could get a couple close ones in the cup or a re-arranged fixture or two that could be down the road or way ooop north so how do we work out the cost?
At the moment the supporters who travel are recorded and the regular ones have had a perk at the end of the season of a free trip. There is already a discount too for SC members. Ideas alway welcome.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
With many games (especially in the current climate) often not attracting even a full bus load I really can't see how this would benefit anyone much. If you were paying for a "season ticket" for travel you would expect a discount on paying each time and already some trips get subsidised so they can run at all (for example a coach went to Colchester on New Year's Eve with just 20 on board, yet those 20 paid the same as if the coach were full).

There is also the issue of people paying up front and then not be able to go through illness or whatever. No, sorry, I just don't see the point.

Antony Moxey

There is also the issue of people paying up front and then not be able to go through illness or whatever.
What, you mean the same as a normal season ticket holder who can't make a home league match?

FAN-TATIC

With many games (especially in the current climate) often not attracting even a full bus load I really can't see how this would benefit anyone much. If you were paying for a "season ticket" for travel you would expect a discount on paying each time and already some trips get subsidised so they can run at all (for example a coach went to Colchester on New Year's Eve with just 20 on board, yet those 20 paid the same as if the coach were full).

There is also the issue of people paying up front and then not be able to go through illness or whatever. No, sorry, I just don't see the point.
I have over 30 years experience in public transport so I can tell you how the cost for the operator is calculated.

The operator will have what is referred to as a PPVM. This stands for Pence Per Vehicle Mile. To arrive at this figure the operator will divide it's total annual expenditure by the number of miles travelled per year. Eg. He has total expenditure of £1 million and annual mileage if 1 million miles. His expenditure PPVM is £1.00.

The journey the customer books is a round trip of 400 miles, so the cost to the operator is £400. Take an operator whose coaches have 53 seats and they have a ' break even' mark set at say 30 seats. So to solely cover their costs the seat price is £14 per seat rounded up. They then add their profit margin to that seat
price. Of course every seat occupied over 30 even at their costs seat price is 100 percent profit.

The operator will also have a PPVM for his income, so he will know what each coach earns per vehicle mile operated.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

What, you mean the same as a normal season ticket holder who can't make a home league match?
Yes.......correct.

LOG

I have over 30 years experience in public transport so I can tell you how the cost for the operator is calculated.

The operator will have what is referred to as a PPVM. This stands for Pence Per Vehicle Mile. To arrive at this figure the operator will divide it's total annual expenditure by the number of miles travelled per year. Eg. He has total expenditure of £1 million and annual mileage if 1 million miles. His expenditure PPVM is £1.00.

The journey the customer books is a round trip of 400 miles, so the cost to the operator is £400. Take an operator whose coaches have 53 seats and they have a ' break even' mark set at say 30 seats. So to solely cover their costs the seat price is £14 per seat rounded up. They then add their profit margin to that seat
price. Of course every seat occupied over 30 even at their costs seat price is 100 percent profit.

The operator will also have a PPVM for his income, so he will know what each coach earns per vehicle mile operated.
Did it take 30 years to learn basic business skills? No offence, like.

FAN-TATIC

Did it take 30 years to learn basic business skills? No offence, like.
Not worthy of any further comment.

LOG

Not worthy of any further comment.
Don't be like that, Fanster.

All you've actually said is that the operator works out their costs then prices jobs accordingly. Not rocket science, is it? I would add, however, that your model assumes no competition, not an issue with public transport in Exeter i suppose, and the fact that in the real world some operators will run certain jobs at a loss.

Anyway, none of this is relevant to the thread.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK this is not my idea but I just wanted to gauge some opinion.

It has been suggested that Grecian Travel could open a season ticket scheme where if you are going to every game away you can pay a lump sum at the start of the season to secure your seat on the coach which saves you having to book each time and a possible associated discount.

A spin off could be ten games for a set price although all this would have to be costed and I am a bit worried that admin costs may outweigh income.

What do people think?
In principle i really like the idea but you would be hard pressed to find many fans who do every or plan to do every away game throughout a season. Maybe a better idea would be 10 for the price of 9 throughout the season? 10 imho is a much more reallistic target for most City fans

Although because of every travel price being different makes any fixed price offer very difficult to provide.