• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Glastonbury festival

Leads

Well it was my first time and I absolutely loved it. Can't compare it to how it was previously but I thought it was laid back, a good mix of people and a wide variety of music. For me it had everything you want from a festival. RE the flags, I say fair play to people for carrying them around- without them it is very hard to find the people you are with. I was in a group of about 20 so when everyone is moving about watching different things they are a good reference point.

les.gtfc

I enjoyed my weekend immensely. I was visiting my best mate in York and we went to The Apollo Festival on Saturday. £15 a ticket, 5 stages, 3 pints for a tenner, sunshine all day and one of my favourite bands The Inspiral Carpets headlining the main stage.

One of the stages was the "Rick Witter" tent where local up and coming bands got to play. One band called The Blueprints were excellent and I'll be keeping an eye out for any new stuff from them. Witter (The lead singer of Shed 7) kept the crowd entertained too playing some fantastic tunes as we waited for The Inspirals.

Who needs Glastonbury and muppets like Kanye West!

Last edited:

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
The line up at Glastonbury just about matches the dire 80s concert at Powderham Castle. Glastonbury is so uncool now it is embarrassing. Old fat men, skanky rancid tarts on stage and in the audience....Wetherspoons without a roof. As Johnny Rotten once said, "ever got the feeling you've been cheated"
Wow, wish I could have gone to an 80s concert at Powderham and seen all the bands I did at Glastonbury.

Definitely a mixture of hippies/*******/hipsters/people mashed off their faces...but I always enjoy it. There's such a great selection of stuff going on (not just music) and far too many people concentrate on what's headlining the Pyramid rather than what goes on elsewhere.

Highlights were Hot Chip headlining on Friday and Kate Tempest on the Park stage on Saturday (although I was feeling a bit delicate at that point, so maybe I viewed it differently to how I normally would). Also Old Dirty Brasstards playing a set on Thursday night to a tent of people expecting a big name secret set. Plus we also ended up camped next to a really cool bunch of people, so Wednesday and Thursday chilling in the paddling pool with a few glasses of wine was good fun too.

Surprised by The Waterboys, didn't really expect much from them but quite enjoyed it. Also Death Cab For Cutie, never really been a fan but was a nice way to spend an hour or so sat in the sun on Sunday evening. Stumbled across Cassette Boy doing a show as well, didn't think it would be any good as a live thing but made me laugh for a bit.

Disappointed by Jungle (because I was expecting it to be really good) and wasn't completely amped for Chemical Brothers (but that may be because I appeared to be the only one in the crowd not mashed out of my tiny little mind).

As for the bizarre, well Kanye West on a cherry picker was a bit unexpected, as was the Father Christmas lookalike raving in a thong and fishnets at about 5pm.

Red N

Wow, wish I could have gone to an 80s concert at Powderham and seen all the bands I did at Glastonbury.

Definitely a mixture of hippies/*******/hipsters/people mashed off their faces...but I always enjoy it. There's such a great selection of stuff going on (not just music) and far too many people concentrate on what's headlining the Pyramid rather than what goes on elsewhere.

Highlights were Hot Chip headlining on Friday and Kate Tempest on the Park stage on Saturday (although I was feeling a bit delicate at that point, so maybe I viewed it differently to how I normally would). Also Old Dirty Brasstards playing a set on Thursday night to a tent of people expecting a big name secret set. Plus we also ended up camped next to a really cool bunch of people, so Wednesday and Thursday chilling in the paddling pool with a few glasses of wine was good fun too.

Surprised by The Waterboys, didn't really expect much from them but quite enjoyed it. Also Death Cab For Cutie, never really been a fan but was a nice way to spend an hour or so sat in the sun on Sunday evening. Stumbled across Cassette Boy doing a show as well, didn't think it would be any good as a live thing but made me laugh for a bit.

Disappointed by Jungle (because I was expecting it to be really good) and wasn't completely amped for Chemical Brothers (but that may be because I appeared to be the only one in the crowd not mashed out of my tiny little mind).

As for the bizarre, well Kanye West on a cherry picker was a bit unexpected, as was the Father Christmas lookalike raving in a thong and fishnets at about 5pm.
Get over yourself

ecfc70

Caught a little bit on the beeb and enjoyed lionel richtea.....florence is a bit too wishy washy for me but didnt ruin her cover of the foo fighters, kanye is a complete richard

apparently the headliners are already booked for next year so my money is on the foos, rhianna and madness or simple minds

Powderham 80s rock, this should be taken to court and tried against the trade descriptions act...rock my arse....is this weekend and you couldn't pay me to go, would rather swim through nettles, etc

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would have liked to have gone but viewing most of it on telly only Chemicals Brothers seemed to be of interest, shame 'cos they were on same time as The Who so I had to turn over. I suppose that was also bit strange as I saw the them and Paul Weller (plus Kaiser Cheifs and Johnny Marr in Hyde Park on Friday.

The Who? Well as a lifetime fan I actually found their concert a bit ****, having seen them many times over the years. I remember the frantic energy of Moon, the deep, solid, atmospheric presence of Entwhistle, the unnerving menacing power of Daltrey and the superb guitar skills and acrobatics of Townshend. After watching Roger Daltrey dad dancing for a couple of hours, then swinging his microphone around and hitting himself in the eye and forgetting, or being physically unable, to finish the finale song with the time honoured lyrics, "Meet the new boss same as the old boss". I just thought it was a massive shame.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Patti Smith was just simply great! Listen at http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e84mxj/acts/ap8mzc#p02tvf1l

94 full sets included in the BBC iPlayer list. Sadly no Frank Turner though.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
The whole thing made me feel old and I only watched it on TV. I saw the Pop Group at Glastonbury in 79 and they were back this year 36 feckin years later with Mark Stewart looking like he's drunk as much cider as the Wurzels in between. There were only a few more in the audience this year as well. It all seems to be very corporate these days, without wanting to appear to be. Brand Glasto.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Powderham 80s rock, this should be taken to court and tried against the trade descriptions act...rock my arse....is this weekend and you couldn't pay me to go, would rather swim through nettles, etc
What do you mean? Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers are there, not to mention Five Star.

Oh.