• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are any of the signings that the 'other clubs' have made ones that would have excited our fan base?
I don't know the players Carlisle have brought in apart from Luke Armstrong, but I would assume so. Luke Armstrong would be a decent option for us, we're it not for the absurdly inflated value on his head (in my humblest of opinions of course).

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK Nero. Keep playing
I think the thing about Nero is he had some power that he didn't bother using, isn't it?!

Last edited:

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was interested to see if this was true, as it kind of felt like it may be:

2023 window EFL only:

First half | Jan 1- 16: 134 transfers
Second half | Jan 17- 30: 99 transfers
Transfer deadline day: 88 transfers

So it is true more players move late on, however a substantial chunk of the transfers happen in the first two weeks
Very interesting... I'm surprised it's that evenly spaced, to be honest. Wonder if you slice the salami thinner how many move the first week. Very few this year.

larrywilkie

I don't know the players Carlisle have brought in apart from Luke Armstrong, but I would assume so. Luke Armstrong would be a decent option for us, we're it not for the absurdly inflated value on his head (in my humblest of opinions of course).
Yes, I nearly added 'that we can realistically afford'!! Plus he has signed a three and a half year contract, so suspect we couldn't compete with that?!!

robinp

I think the thing about Nero is he had some power that he didn't bother using, isn't it?!

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very interesting... I'm surprised it's that evenly spaced, to be honest. Wonder if you slice the salami thinner how many move the first week. Very few this year.
44 last year v 25 so far this year by today so a slower window thus far

Good for context I think - I'm frustrated but I'll give them until end of next week before giving pelters if we've still not moved for anyone else

JGrecian23

44 last year v 25 so far this year by today so a slower window thus far

Good for context I think - I'm frustrated but I'll give them until end of next week before giving pelters if we've still not moved for anyone else
In normal circumstances yes give them the benefit of the doubt until next week.

However, this is not normal circumstances. This is a desperate situation we as a club have created. The last 3 - 4 months should have seen the most detailed lists being drawn up, shortlists, clubs and players contacted throughout the months, and deals in place NOW.

If said players wanted to wait for a better offer then "sorry Mr Striker, we need someone committed and we need them on the 1st Jan. We will look elsewhere". On to the next one and so on.

Everyone wants to make it so complicated, it isn't. Yes you will get knocked back, but draw up a decent size list of targets you will get one or two you want and get them announced 1st Jan and training all week ready for tomorrow.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, I nearly added 'that we can realistically afford'!! Plus he has signed a three and a half year contract, so suspect we couldn't compete with that?!!
Sweenz signed a three year contract.

(Yes I expect it was for a bit less...)

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Is OK everyone. I’m prepared to give the benefit of the doubt until we’re mathematically relegated, then I’m going to be really angry that no one bothered to preempt or avoid relegation.

Grecianman135

Tomorrow is going to be interesting..

A loss Gary's head may/ should roll..

A draw is arguably worse,as the charade continues..

A win may paper over the cracks and the same spiel will come about turning corners..

What baffles me is it was suggested we'd have bodies in ASAP yes it's only week one and we've signed Harris and I hope he's up for the challenge and fair play to him,but he was coming here regardless,and he's Trevitt's replacement.

We must of had a shortlist of strikers in the summer we clearly missed out on for various reasons,and ended up with Muskwe.

My worry is why these targets haven't been snapped up already or they've been training with us prior (they may well be and I will eat my hat)

But just get a horrible feeling we'll get out bid by almost everyone despite "unpredicted funds " and we'll panic last minute and get another Muskwe..

Speaking of Muskwe wasn't it said by Caldwell himself he may yet still be kept on?,which in itself is a worry that we'll settle for that if this window goes tits up like the summer?

It's going to be hard regardless despite it being January.