• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Last time we went up to league 1 we struggled and only a late goal from Harley v Hudders saved us, the next season we rebuilt and pushed on to our best ever season. If we can manage mid table this season I feel we can make better progress next season and who knows?
Course I'm not giving up on this season, keep winning and we can still make the play offs, but promotion would be too soon for us IMO. But there again perhaps the chance to play in the Championship with us might prove enticing to some of those players we expect to leave in the summer.
For now I just want to see a home win on Saturday and take it from there.

Grecianman135

Are we forgetting that Tisdale used to say there were players who were actively looking to come to the Club.
Often from the local retirement home mind you.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Marcus Stwart springs to mind.

Grecianman135

I do like a bit of Stewart mind.

Here's a interesting thread topic worst Tisdale signing... ay Hants? 👍🤣

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Marcus Stwart springs to mind.
He gave us good service and maybe not totally appropriate given his health situation but how about Jamie C.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Last time we went up to league 1 we struggled and only a late goal from Harley v Hudders saved us, the next season we rebuilt and pushed on to our best ever season. If we can manage mid table this season I feel we can make better progress next season and who knows?
Course I'm not giving up on this season, keep winning and we can still make the play offs, but promotion would be too soon for us IMO. But there again perhaps the chance to play in the Championship with us might prove enticing to some of those players we expect to leave in the summer.
For now I just want to see a home win on Saturday and take it from there.

Memphis09

Two things stand out for me, Geoff.

First, the Club backed Big Gazza in a way that, for whatever reasons, it hasn't been able to do in transfer windows past - not just in fronting up the cash to bring players in, but committing to keeping players whom we might otherwise have "had" to sell to make ends meet. I think this is a major statement both of how robust the Club currently is, & how much it is prepared to invest in the Caldwell "project".

Second, the flip side of this is that Caldwell has been able to get a set of impressive players to buy into that same "project", & commit to coming (a long way) to Exeter. This speaks volumes of the esteem in which he's held by players he's worked with in the past.

What I like most about the business he's done is that he looks to have strengthened the squad for the rest of this season, whilst also building resilience into the squad for next season.
We have had money I believe for Jay Deing plus the crowds have been far greater than was budgeted for so hopefully we had more in the pot

ryancooper327

Squad no. predictions (hopes):
01 Woods
04 McDonald
23 Scott

Memphis09

Very true.3 more steps this season for Caldwell.

1)Persuade one or all of the big 3 to sign an extension if it will give us more power in sales negotiations during the Summer.
2)Organise the new squad into a team that is achieve an average of 2 points per game.
3)Do something something about the abysmal home form.No win in 4 games.Where is Fortress SJP?We want it back.

First one is asking a bit much from Caldwell though.
With no 3 to be fair we have had a run of tough home games but on saying that we should of beaten FGR but for that miss by Key

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are we forgetting that Tisdale used to say there were players who were actively looking to come to the Club.
He didn't say who or what level those players were though. I expect most non league players would have loved to have joined us and Tisdale when we were playing in league 1.