• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

CC

Well that was our busiest January window for a long, long time.

MJ, Dieng and Stubbs out.
White (loan), Mitchell, Aimson, McDonald (short-term) and Scott in.

That looks a very productive window to me. Exciting times.
Don’t forget Jokul (in and out)!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well that was our busiest January window for a long, long time.

MJ, Dieng and Stubbs out.
White (loan), Mitchell, Aimson, McDonald (short-term) and Scott in.

That looks a very productive window to me. Exciting times.
It's too early to make a definitive judgement but most of the new players look like up-grades.

Memphis09

What a transfer window
Only squad players left the club
Players bought into the club now ready for next season
At the start of this season we were one of the favourites to go down
Happy to finish top half although I just don’t think we will make playoffs
But if these signings are the start of what is to come roll on the summer
Players who are out of contract need to look at the squad we are getting and think are they really going to do better anywhere else
Think we can push on next season for at least playoffs UTC

Coppers

What a transfer window
Only squad players left the club
Players bought into the club now ready for next season
At the start of this season we were one of the favourites to go down
Happy to finish top half although I just don’t think we will make playoffs
But if these signings are the start of what is to come roll on the summer
Players who are out of contract need to look at the squad we are getting and think are they really going to do better anywhere else
Think we can push on next season for at least playoffs UTC
The "doing better anywhere else" would mainly be financial, the likes of Jevani and Nombe can probably quadruple their wage in the summer from a championship club, at worst double what they earn here. It's all about the money and we can't compete there unfortunately. Glad we kept hold of them though until the summer 😁

Red Bill

I desperately hope this is true and that this ambition doesn't turn out to be as reckless as last time we were in the position when our desperation to get in the play-offs nearly bankrupted the club. However, everything we see from the club suggests we have learnt the lessons from that time and that the club is run much more sensibly now.
I don't think it is like last time Sea if we break down the situation we find ourselves in these days.
This window we have lost 3 players, getting a fee for 2 of them. Whilst I doubt those combined fees would be more than £350k and possibly less, I would imagine Stubbs and MJ were among our higher earners and the wages of all 3 are a decent chunk off our wage bill.
Of the players we were expecting/worried about losing, only Jev can walk for free in the summer, Nombe is still under contract and we will still be entitled to compensation for the ex academy lads.
Of the the incomers, McDonald is only on a 6 month deal, maybe with a view to a player/coaching role in the future? I don't know obviously but a possibility and at present not a financial liability beyond the end of the season. Scott, only an 18 month deal at the end of which he will still be of an age that will entitle us to compensation should he leave, plus he gives us a replacement for Nombe, should he leave in the summer. Aimson provides essential experience in an area that has been a bit of a weakness this season. He will almost certainly be one of our highest earners but at L1 level we won't survive without some players of his calibre in vital positions. Plus if things don't go well, he has a decent length contract and I'm sure we would find a club willing to pay enough to at least get our money back on him. Mitchell looks a very promising prospect and whilst he won't be getting paid peanuts, i doubt he will be among the highest earners either, although this is just gut feeling rather than any known info.

Then there's our negotiations and refusal to take any offer for players as we have in the past. For me this is setting out our stall, reminding other teams that we have got good money for our players recently and are no longer 'lil ol Exeter' whose players can be poached at will for peanuts. Not only will that make teams offer proper money for our players in future but it will send the message to players we are hoping to sign, that if they join us as a team going places they won't find that 6 months later the team has been stripped to the bone so we can pay our gas bill and that we are a team with ambition.

Then there's the training ground, in my opinion essential work that had to be done. Although it wasn't an unsolicited comment, in his interview, McDonald affirmed that these improvements will definitely help persuade players to sign for us in the future and would be good for the first team and the academy. For me when someone of his experience says something like that, its a good idea to listen to them. Many of the players who've signed for us in recent years have commented on how impressed they've been with the outdoor facilities at the training ground, so with the addition of the new indoor facilities, I think we may find it easier not only to attract the kind of players we want but players who we may be able to move on fro decent fees in the future.

I think we also have to look at the club finances and how they appear to be managed these days. As far as I'm aware, although I could be wrong, the club haven't as yet taken up the Trust's loan offer for the works at the training ground. This suggests to me that they feel they can finance this without that loan despite the increased cost following the original contractor pulling out. however that loan offer is still there as far as I know so should there be a downturn, presumably the club can take up that offer should they feel that funds are needed elsewhere. I think we also have to take in to consideration "Project 6000". Whilst I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing there had been some meat put on the bones of this in terms of how this figure was arrived at and its impact, but it looks like we are on course to achieve that this season through attendances alone and I would imagine our transfer business will help to ensure that crowds stay high for the rest of the season. So there is definitely more revenue coming into the club than there has been at any time during the last 20 years.

All in all, I think we are in a very different place now that we were in 2012. Complete risk aversion will get us nowhere but I fell the ambition demonstrated this January and over the last few years, represents manageable risk backed by pretty sound planning.

Last edited:

Memphis09

The "doing better anywhere else" would mainly be financial, the likes of Jevani and Nombe can probably quadruple their wage in the summer from a championship club, at worst double what they earn here. It's all about the money and we can't compete there unfortunately. Glad we kept hold of them though until the summer 😁
Agree money talks but also I bet they are still on decent money
Short career I know

Grecian_Matt

Main thing for me was not losing Brown.
Although Caprice can be a headless chicken most games, he is acceptable - So would not of missed Key as much.
Brown is irreplaceable without an actual plan and targets to replace him.

Signings seem good - Especially White he seems to be a cut above and not seen anything from the others Mitchell had a couple of decent touches and seemed skillful with his small cameo against MK.
McDonald, I feel has been brought in more as a player/coach and will eventually become a coach at the club.

ecfc_ben

Fair play to our gaffer, I can’t help but like him more and more every day.
Very excited for Scott especially, remember he cost hull 1.5 million a couple years ago

kuznetsov

Whilst it is a concern that Jevani will probably leave for free in the summer, he is likely to have further enhanced his reputation with goals and games by then. It is important that we are able to sell our club as a place where other talented players like Jevani can come and reset their careers.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
It also has no acknowledgment of his City career on that page, and states he joined Pompey in 2022.

looks pretty fraudulent to me 🤷‍♂️
Hi Jim, if you are the commentator on Radio Devon you are the equivalent of Gary Caldwell as radio's dog's bollox :) If however, it's not you can I say how much I loved your Carry On films Sir :)