• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I generally agree save that I think the experimental positional decisions are more serious than just a minor drawback. Benching Nombe (and playing Key as a striker while he was on the bench) could easily have led to Nombe wanting to leave in this window. He clearly loves the Club but loves playing even more so and such perceived slights often last long in the memory after the actual immediate problem has been resolved.
I tend to agree but also isn't it down to GC's man-management? We know Nombe struggled with fatigue-type injuries last year. It makes sense to play him less at this time of year when the pitches are heavier. If this is part of the reason (not saying it was definitely) and he spoke to Nombe about this then there's no reason Nombe should chuck his toys out of the pram.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I tend to agree but also isn't it down to GC's man-management? We know Nombe struggled with fatigue-type injuries last year. It makes sense to play him less at this time of year when the pitches are heavier. If this is part of the reason (not saying it was definitely) and he spoke to Nombe about this then there's no reason Nombe should chuck his toys out of the pram.
I don't remember it being spun that way at the time. Sam played a grand total of 70 minutes in the 27 days in December between Morecambe and Bristol Rovers (sub spells on at 86,64,61 minutes in 3 games which were respectively 8,7 and 9 days apart). That is far more removal from the firing line than fears of winter over-use would require, especially for someone at the top of League One's scoring charts.

So yes, very much an issue of man management, principally on a psychological level.Strikers/ centre forwards often have particular egos that help to make them who they are. GC has a tendency to drop key players from time to time (Sam,Jevani,Stanno and last week Archie Collins). A great manager will get players finding that motivating, an ordinary manager will make players think he doesn't rate them.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Things often repeated have suddenly become fact.

He wasn't rested. He wasn't dropped.

He was ill, as were several others (some of whom continued to play against better judgment, like Sweenz).

This has nothing to do with Gary Caldwell's man management abilities, or lack of.

arthur

He seems very at ease and comfortable talking about in’s/outs - I am guessing he thinks the window is going well so that’s good. Too busy to go for run is a good sign too! He’s refreshingly “relaxed” easy to listen to and very little “manager speak”. Other than a few experimental positional decisions, I think GC has been pretty faultless so far. UTC
Gary Peters, Eamon Dolan, Alex Inglethorpe, Paul Tisdale, Matt Taylor, Gary Caldwell

All of these have been good managers. Where we are truly blessed is that each one of these has been slightly better than the one before. I doubt many other clubs could say this.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will Aimson is a name I'm hearing.

Grecian Ed

Second this, sounds advanced too.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't remember it being spun that way at the time. Sam played a grand total of 70 minutes in the 27 days in December between Morecambe and Bristol Rovers (sub spells on at 86,64,61 minutes in 3 games which were respectively 8,7 and 9 days apart). That is far more removal from the firing line than fears of winter over-use would require, especially for someone at the top of League One's scoring charts.

So yes, very much an issue of man management, principally on a psychological level.Strikers/ centre forwards often have particular egos that help to make them who they are. GC has a tendency to drop key players from time to time (Sam,Jevani,Stanno and last week Archie Collins). A great manager will get players finding that motivating, an ordinary manager will make players think he doesn't rate them.
As has previously been said some of it (not all) was down to illness.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s now all over Twitter and a Bolton fan on the Football forum also said it’s happening.

Seems like he’s very well liked up there and also played for the Cornish in L1. If we sign him then that’s another great deal for us. But assume that puts the Pollock deal to bed.

iscalad

This chap?
0_Port-Vale-v-Plymouth-Argyle-Stoke-on-Trent-UK-14-September-2019.jpg

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster