• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
How would we know? The whole set-up is opaque. I'm amazed more people on here don't demand more openness as a fan-owned club. The Trust and Club have a plan I'm told to steer us through the rocky waters ahead. Ok, perhaps it might be an idea to share it with the people that own the club - the fans. Just a thought.

All very good points, how would we know? I can only assume that none of the non playing staff i.e. Club board members will indent for any money during these difficult times, I would have thought their conscience would have come into play. What could any of them do for the money anyway, since they nearly all work from home as it is?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
All very good points, how would we know? I can only assume that none of the non playing staff i.e. Club board members will indent for any money during these difficult times, I would have thought their conscience would have come into play. What could any of them do for the money anyway, since they nearly all work from home as it is?
Directors remuneration is published in the annual accounts. I have always found club and trust officials to be open and honest when asked a direct question. Why dont you ask?

ex_user1234

Resigned
Directors remuneration is published in the annual accounts. I have always found club and trust officials to be open and honest when asked a direct question. Why dont you ask?
I have asked about the furloughing. Was told it was confidential. This came from the top.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Which Board members would that be working from home ? Apart from the current situation.

ex_user1234

Resigned
The board members are good people who want the best for City and work hard for little to no compensation because they love the club. Having spent considerable time with pretty much all of them, I would never question their integrity. What I am questioning is their DECISION not to furlough the players. It is bonkers. We are not Man City and able to absorb the loss of all income for 3 to 6 months. If I am passionate about this topic, and I admit perhaps even strident (!), it's because we are heading for disaster and the captains of the ship don't seem to realise this. This is a national crisis we are living through. And it ain't going away in the next few weeks. All Exeter City fans and the city of Exeter will heavily pay the price if we go bust. Which is why the Club must show us what their plans are to navigate this unprecedented time with virtually no income coming into the club.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Which Board members would that be working from home ? Apart from the current situation.

Almost all of them would work from home I would have thought. I doubt very much if they all turn up at the boardroom at 8.00am each morning and decide their movements for the day. There's a huge amount of trust regarding people like them where they are left largely to their own devices to do what they consider is best for the club.

ex_user1234

Resigned
There's a huge amount of trust regarding people like them where they are left largely to their own devices to do what they consider is best for the club.
This is very true, Pete. Too much trust in my opinion from City fans and not enough transparency from those in charge. What's the point of being a fan-owned club if we can't ask probing questions? The current attitude from the powers-that-be is "don't worry, lads, we've got it covered". Or "can't tell you, mate, it's confidential". Sorry, that's not good enough. There is too much at stake right now. The club need to show us how they're going to navigate through this national crisis. First off, please explain why you're not furloughing the players...

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Almost all of them would work from home I would have thought. I doubt very much if they all turn up at the boardroom at 8.00am each morning and decide their movements for the day. There's a huge amount of trust regarding people like them where they are left largely to their own devices to do what they consider is best for the club.
But the actual quote was "s
ince they nearly all work from home as it is" Implying you already know the majority do work from home currently.
Well there is a board on the wall maybe for fire reasons who is on the premises at any given time which usually looks pretty well full of people inside SJP whenever I go through there.
And normally Julian is either at SJP or the C&F before we get going on other names.

ex_user1234

Resigned
But the actual quote was "s
ince they nearly all work from home as it is" Implying you already know the majority do work from home currently.
Well there is a board on the wall maybe for fire reasons who is on the premises at any given time which usually looks pretty well full of people inside SJP whenever I go through there.
And normally Julian is either at SJP or the C&F before we get going on other names.
Rather than you and Pete having more back-and-forth about the directors, and taking us away from the focus of this thread which is furloughing the players, can we just all agree that the board don't work from home (I actually know they don't) and that they are decent people. Thanks.

i8cornwall

This is very true, Pete. Too much trust in my opinion from City fans and not enough transparency from those in charge. What's the point of being a fan-owned club if we can't ask probing questions? The current attitude from the powers-that-be is "don't worry, lads, we've got it covered". Or "can't tell you, mate, it's confidential". Sorry, that's not good enough. There is too much at stake right now. The club need to show us how they're going to navigate through this national crisis. First off, please explain why you're not furloughing the players...
Personally I’d imagine it’s difficult for them to tell us as they don’t really know what they are doing half the time. This is the problem when people vote for who face fits and not based on people actual skill set.

My dealings with the club and trust have given me the feeling of lots of talk but non substance to it or no real action being taken.

It’s a worrying time of what you are saying is true and I’ve no reason to doubt what you are saying isn’t true.

Just out of curiosity I’m about to be put on furlough and I’ve been told I’m on a 24 hour call back, would this be the case with the players if they where put on it?