• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

France

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
An still the silence of not condemning what happened in Paris by Muslim leaders is almost deafening, But when people leave to join ISIS they blame everyone else

journeyman

An still the silence of not condemning what happened in Paris by Muslim leaders is almost deafening, But when people leave to join ISIS they blame everyone else
Why do people continue to think this? Almost every Muslim leader I can think of has condemned it. As do almost all Muslims here and abroad. Why is there this pervading impression that these actions are somehow largely supported or tolerated?

DB9

Why do people continue to think this? Almost every Muslim leader I can think of has condemned it. As do almost all Muslims here and abroad. Why is there this pervading impression that these actions are somehow largely supported or tolerated?
TBH I have not seen any

journeyman

TBH I have not seen any
Well you either can't have been looking very hard or you can't have been sure what you're looking for.

If you want the reaction of governments with majority Muslim populations, I suggest you peruse this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_reactions_to_the_November_2015_Paris_attacks

Most Muslim organisations I can think of have condemned it. And if you'd ever seen the Stewart Lee sketch, you'd know that there isn't one single figurehead to the Islamic community. You can't expect that Islamic equivalent of the Pope to say anything because there isn't one.

GrecianWonder

TBH I have not seen any
And therein lies the problem that currently pervades it's way through society.

'If I don't encounter it in my every day life, it must not happen.'

No wonder prejudice, misinformation and racism occurs in our society.

Antony Moxey

In defence of DB9 I haven't seen it either. Not that I think Muslim leaders need to justify themselves, by and large they're just normal people too, but I don't think this is a case of 'I didn't see it, it never happened'. There's been, obviously, blanket coverage on all of the major news outlets but I haven't seen anything on the usual terrestrial outlets which, I'd suggest, is where most people get their news from - looking very hard should be irrelevant.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Reading through the BBC's "Politics Live" page, it would appear the Quilliam Foundation* chap has struck several right chords around the culture of brainwashing that takes place (something I have witnessed first hand), so there is at least *some* stuff filtering through in this regard.

*Incidentally, they're the very decent sounding bunch whom the founder of the EDL suddenly underwent a complete volte face and joined up with.

DB9

And therein lies the problem that currently pervades it's way through society.

'If I don't encounter it in my every day life, it must not happen.'

No wonder prejudice, misinformation and racism occurs in our society.
I am neither any of the above, All i am saying is i have not seen any Muslim leader condemn this attack, I don't expect them to apologies because people are using Islam for their own evil ends but when Muslims from the UK go to Syria to join IS often you hear that it is the Governments fault an try to excuse the fact that these people decide for themselves to up sticks an go an join this evil group in the hope they will live in a Islamic utopia an die a martyrs death and go to paradise

One thing to note is that it appears that the attackers were from the usual dismal housing estates where people are left to rot in so many cities across the globe - it's not normally those from affluent areas taking part in these types of atrocities. If people are totally disconnected from a society then they are easy to 'brainwash' - fundamentalism is just another way that gives a false sense of brotherhood to the otherwise alienated.

Not defending the perpetrators here, or pretending for a second that there are easy answers - but societies across the world really need to stop pretending these totally disconnected people don't exist. Those who feel a society has something to offer them don't tend to try and destroy it.

IBA

Got a French flag on your Facebook profile picture? Congratulations on your corporate white supremacy.

Paint-by-numbers solidarity when it’s foisted on you by one of the most powerful companies in the world is simply not the way to help a traumatised nation in shock after murder..

So you want to show solidarity with France – specifically, with those killed in Paris this weekend. If you’re a British person who wants to do that because you feel sympathy and sadness for people who are brutally massacred, regardless of their nationality, then fine. I just hope that you also change your profile picture to a different country’s flag every time people are wrongly killed as the result of international conflicts – for example, during the attack on Beirut in Lebanon just the day before.

Taken from http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/got-a-french-flag-on-your-facebook-profile-picture-congratulations-on-your-corporate-white-supremacy-a6736526.html