• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looks like he's loving life out there. He'd still walk into our side

Looks like he's loving life out there. He'd still walk into our side
Yep, just as easily as he was allowed to walk out.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep, just as easily as he was allowed to walk out.
He wouldn't have wanted to walk had MT played him. He should have had the team built around him but, despite being the best midfielder in L2, he was on the bench every week. Weird eh?

Grecian Max

He wouldn't have wanted to walk had MT played him. He should have had the team built around him but, despite being the best midfielder in L2, he was on the bench every week. Weird eh?
It's not how I read the situation, but I might be wrong.

I thought it was a case of he was in the third year of his contract and summer/autumn 2020 found about the Indy oppurtunity... said himself it was a dream to go to the states to play before he retires so was probably putting his name out there...

Taylor, thinking about the future promoted Jay to that attacking midfielder point, and kept Nicky for the bench.

None of that might be true mind. We really, really miss his quality and need someone like that on the ball. Wes Hoolahan last year showed the value of having someone like that in your team... really hope we're looking still.

andrew p long

the way I read the Nicky Law situation was that he turning 33, unable for injury/fitness reasons to play every game and on an expensive contract. And had lost his place in the starting eleven to MJ, with that seeming to be an either MJ or Law in the manager's mind. MT showed with Page what he thought about the size of contract for players who wouldn't be available for every game. The best solution with Law would have been to find a way of playing both him and MJ .

So I think Nicky Law probably saved ECFC from the difficult decision of not renewing his contract on similar terms (or at all?) when it expired. To echo Max, that is just my reading and none of it may be the real truth.

ExmouthMart

the way I read the Nicky Law situation was that he turning 33, unable for injury/fitness reasons to play every game and on an expensive contract. And had lost his place in the starting eleven to MJ, with that seeming to be an either MJ or Law in the manager's mind. MT showed with Page what he thought about the size of contract for players who wouldn't be available for every game. The best solution with Law would have been to find a way of playing both him and MJ .

So I think Nicky Law probably saved ECFC from the difficult decision of not renewing his contract on similar terms (or at all?) when it expired. To echo Max, that is just my reading and none of it may be the real truth.
I thought it was the opportunity of a lifetime for him and his family. Too good to turn down thats why he was released half way through the season at a pivotal time. Also he was well into his thirties and probably his best years were behind him, so obviously he would have hardly featured and his influence would become less and less. Have we missed him?! Does a bear poo in the woods……..

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Honestly why does it matter? He's been gone a long while now.

simcity

Honestly why does it matter? He's been gone a long while now.
And we still haven’t replaced him…hence all the talk about a need for a player like him!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
And we still haven’t replaced him…hence all the talk about a need for a player like him!
Not true. Nicky Law was great for us, but the reason he was allowed to leave was because in MJ we had a very adequate replacement.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not true. Nicky Law was great for us, but the reason he was allowed to leave was because in MJ we had a very adequate replacement.
Precisely. When Law was here last season he hardly started anyway.