• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
11 years ago today, these former players lost 3-1 to Liverpool. I wonder how this team would get on against the current crop.

Average Joe

That was a cracking team. ]

Nards would walk into the squad ahead of Jay and probably Nombe, Golbourne would command a first team place and Troy Archibold would get in to the first team squad, we could certainly do with a David Noble right now as well.

Other then that I think our current squad is better, and that to me shows how strong our current squad is.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nards ahead of Jay or Nombe, are you smoking crack?

Reactions: Egg

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was a cracking team. ]

Nards would walk into the squad ahead of Jay and probably Nombe, Golbourne would command a first team place and Troy Archibold would get in to the first team squad, we could certainly do with a David Noble right now as well.

Other then that I think our current squad is better, and that to me shows how strong our current squad is.
That side got relegated from memory as was the season after we finished 8th.

The year before was a great side

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
11 years ago today, these former players lost 3-1 to Liverpool. I wonder how this team would get on against the current crop.

You can't really compare players from different time frames.

There is a story that Bill Shankley was once being interviewed by a journalist who exclaimed "Kevin Keegan must be better than Tom Finney" This was heresy to Shanks, who replied "mebbe so son, but Tom's over 50 now".

That said, IMO only Golbourne and Noble are clearly significantly better than their equivalents in the current squad. Others could be argued, but that'd be my take.

dommers

I'd take Nardiello, Golbourne and Noble without thinking. Think Duffy and Troy might also find their way in. Overall though I think the first XI is probably now.

Bridgy 81

I'd take Nardiello, Golbourne and Noble without thinking. Think Duffy and Troy might also find their way in. Overall though I think the first XI is probably now.
I have a recollection of Richard Duffy heading a ball clean over the top of the main grandstand at St James Park during one match.
Hopefully, it actually happened and wasn’t a dream.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nards ahead of Jay or Nombe, are you smoking crack?
I liked Nardiello, but the fact remains he scored three goals after the end of October in that season; in fact seven of the 11 goals he scored in 2011-12 came in October.
Daniel Nardiello | Football Stats | Bangor City | Season 2011/2012 | Soccer Base
And, albeit at League Two level, some people are giving MJ pelters for only scoring nine goals after Christmas last season.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I liked Nardiello, but the fact remains he scored three goals after the end of October in that season; in fact seven of the 11 goals he scored in 2011-12 came in October.
Daniel Nardiello | Football Stats | Bangor City | Season 2011/2012 | Soccer Base
*DUPLICATE POST*

cambmike

I always thought highly of Tom Nichols