• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
And Dino Visser as a trialist for Port Vale
Interview with Dino Visser

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Although he never played us, Mark Ellis did come through our youth ranks before going off to Bolton Wanderers. He's just signed a one year extension to his contract with Tranmere.

Interestingly his wiki page makes no mention of Exeter.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Former loan player Ryan Taylor has signed for Newport County.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Former loan player Ryan Taylor has signed for Newport County.
Certainly won't be getting the reported £6k a week he got at Brizzle City and Pompey there, but he will no doubt keep their physios busy.

grecIAN Harris

A little hint to Hiram. Managers are older than you, in some cases more than double your age. How do you expect them to watch that video if they are going to turn it off after ten seconds because of your p!$$ poor choice of music?

sign of the chimes

Certainly won't be getting the reported £6k a week he got at Brizzle City and Pompey there, but he will no doubt keep their physios busy.
Taylor joined us during the second half of our first season in League 2, during which we had a bottom half playing budget (c £1.8m). You could probably convince me that when he came he was one of our top earners, or even our top earner.

However, given that we've increased our wage budget every season since then (pre-cap), we had a top 6 league one budget last term when it was widely suggested that our wage ceiling for any player was £5k a week, I think the suggestion of RT having been on £6k is unlikely.

Colesman Ballz

Taylor joined us during the second half of our first season in League 2, during which we had a bottom half playing budget (c £1.8m). You could probably convince me that when he came he was one of our top earners, or even our top earner.

However, given that we've increased our wage budget every season since then (pre-cap), we had a top 6 league one budget last term when it was widely suggested that our wage ceiling for any player was £5k a week, I think the suggestion of RT having been on £6k is unlikely.
I think the reason for his salary was that as you say, he joined you mid season, and you effectively took over the remainder of his Bristol City (Championship level) contract, and didn't as a result pay a transfer fee. There was a list of all your players salaries published (around the end of that season ?), and he was the 2nd highest paid. Even higher was a player whose name escapes me but might have been your captain, in his case the reason was that he was in the last year of a long term contract agreed whilst you were a Premiership club (?). Those were the two stand out figures, most were far lower. It was of interest to me at the time, not only because of our links to RT, but also James Dunne and Paul Jones.

sign of the chimes

I think the reason for his salary was that as you say, he joined you mid season, and you effectively took over the remainder of his Bristol City (Championship level) contract, and didn't as a result pay a transfer fee. There was a list of all your players salaries published (around the end of that season ?), and he was the 2nd highest paid. Even higher was a player whose name escapes me but might have been your captain, in his case the reason was that he was in the last year of a long term contract agreed whilst you were a Premiership club (?). Those were the two stand out figures, most were far lower. It was of interest to me at the time, not only because of our links to RT, but also James Dunne and Paul Jones.
I suspect he may have been earning £6k for the rest of that season with us picking up just under half of it at most (he was out of contract at Bristol City that summer), with a commitment to pay him the bit we were paying for the following 12 months.

Dunne and Jones joined the following sesaon if I'm not mistaken, both to much fanfare.

We didn't have anyone left from the PL days by that point. Club captain in 2013/14 was Johnny Ertl - he'd been with us for some of the previous campaign - which saw us employ a revolving cast of players on month-to-month and three month contracts.

Thanks for the reply, though CB. I'd pretty much forgotten Dunne and Jones' involvement here - neither did badly but both suffered as they didn't appeal to Paul Cook who ultimtately did a very good job for us.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
A little hint to Hiram. Managers are older than you, in some cases more than double your age. How do you expect them to watch that video if they are going to turn it off after ten seconds because of your p!$$ poor choice of music?
Personally I like the music but I take your point. If he'd played an 80's classic like 'Aha' 'Take on me' he'd have appealed to many more managers.

Also in a promotional vid he surely should have showed the play off goal he scored at SJP. Absolute class.