• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Currently reading Harry Redknapp’s brilliant book “A Man Walks On To a Pitch”. In it he looks at a selection of players in each decade and commented that in the 60s and 70s a player needed almost to commit murder before he would get sent off.
Just imagining being a marked man like George Best in that era.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just imagining being a marked man like George Best in that era.
And why not add players from our own (arguably more 'agricultural') level from those days.

For myself, I'd happily nominate our very own legendary Mr Banks (happily, at the age of 80, still with us!)...by far not the heftiest player on the pitch but by dint of skill and craft always managed to skip the worst of challenges and score many, many goals for us over a surprisingly long career for those days, the days of mud-pie pitches, heavy leather balls the weight of artillery and nailed in leather studs (often with sharpened edges)

But I'll leave it to those more qualified than me (eh Pate?) to elaborate.

Grecian2K

And why not add players from our own (arguably more 'agricultural') level from those days.

For myself, I'd happily nominate our very own legendary Mr Banks (happily, at the age of 80, still with us!)...by far not the heftiest player on the pitch but by dint of skill and craft always managed to skip the worst of challenges and score many, many goals for us over a surprisingly long career for those days, the days of mud-pie pitches, heavy leather balls the weight of artillery and nailed in leather studs (often with sharpened edges)

But I'll leave it to those more qualified than me (eh Pate?) to elaborate.
PS: And AB did play against Best - AND SCORED! (Which is more than Georgie Boy did AT SJP)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
PS: And AB did play against Best - AND SCORED! (Which is more than Georgie Boy did AT SJP)
Not to mention also Bobby Charlton and Dennis Law in a team that were the current European Cup Holders. From memory lost 3-1 with one of theirs being an own goal again from memory Johnny Williams. Always remember Sunday Newspapers one with the banner headline “they had us worried at halftime” a comment from Bobby Charlton. We kept GB quiet by putting three men to mark him but this left others being less closely marked to do the damage.

Great game somewhere I have 9.5 mm cine film when I was lucky enough to be filming and capture AB’s great diving header as it flew past Stepney into the United goal at the St James Road end. Shortly after we had Johnny Corr goal disallowed for no reason that any of my fellow supporters in Black A of the OG could understand.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Storey, Grimes and Watkins all starting with Stockley again benched.

sidney

Not to mention also Bobby Charlton and Dennis Law in a team that were the current European Cup Holders. From memory lost 3-1 with one of theirs being an own goal again from memory Johnny Williams. Always remember Sunday Newspapers one with the banner headline “they had us worried at halftime” a comment from Bobby Charlton. We kept GB quiet by putting three men to mark him but this left others being less closely marked to do the damage.

Great game somewhere I have 9.5 mm cine film when I was lucky enough to be filming and capture AB’s great diving header as it flew past Stepney into the United goal at the St James Road end. Shortly after we had Johnny Corr goal disallowed for no reason that any of my fellow supporters in Black A of the OG could understand.
John Newman own goal, I think. I always thought Fitzpatrick was offside when he scored their first.

andrew p long

My recollections are a Johnny Newman own goal ( but Denis Law was behind who would have netted anyway). Corr goal disallowed for handball by Banks in build up ; I too didn’t see it in real time but film shows connection albeit ? Ball to hand rather than hand to ball?

Colesman Ballz

PNE 2-0 up at home to Championship leaders Norwich, Storey in the starting XI but Stockley retains his place on the bench ! Grimes as usual starts for Swans who are currently trailing 1-0 at new leaders Leeds. Watkins plays for Brentford at home to Villa, 0-0 at the mo.

Temporarily Exiled

Storey, Grimes and Watkins all starting with Stockley again benched.
Ogbene on the bench for Brentford, too.

denzel

PNE 2-0 up at home to Championship leaders Norwich, Storey in the starting XI but Stockley retains his place on the bench ! Grimes as usual starts for Swans who are currently trailing 1-0 at new leaders Leeds. Watkins plays for Brentford at home to Villa, 0-0 at the mo.
If Stockley isn't starting could we get him back on loan......