• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, one defeat in 15 derbies I think, a 1-0 at Torquay on NYD when Justin Fashanu scored.
That was one of the 1st games the Justin Fashanu played after he said he was gay(bizzarly announced through the Sun iirc)
He got mercyless abuse from less enlightened Grecians on the away end,but had the last laugh because he scored the winner in front of them.I can still see that big smile & him holding up 1-0 with his fingers in front of them.
I was watching from the Grandstand at Plainmoor & it’s one of the few times that I was pleased a opposition player had knocked one in..After game he was pictured with Bet Lynch(Julie Goodyear) from Coronation St in the dressing room,just to add to the occasion.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t care what it implies, it’s what he said. Believe it, don’t believe it, your choice but I’m not making it up.
Spot on Ant he did say that and interesting that he more or less vanished from the Football scene after the end of the season.

Red Devon

Scott Daniels was signed(50k),Peter Whiston came from Torquay(swapped for Rowbothom) Andy Cooke (50k) from Southampton they steadied the ship at the back.
They were all decent signings didn’t he also bring in Paul Wimbleton (with that hair) Gary Chapman from Notts County and someone else up front??

malcolms

I was talking with Alan Mullery at the Brighton v Arsenal game yesterday and we were discussing Bally...Loved his football and loved Exeter beating Plymouth....

Oldsmobile-88

They were all decent signings didn’t he also bring in Paul Wimbleton (with that hair) Gary Chapman from Notts County and someone else up front??
Yes..Chapman from Notts County & Wimbleton from Shrewsbury,Wimbleton looked like a crusty down & out,but was a decent midfielder..Also Vince Hilare the former Crystal Palace star forward signed as well.

34 players used that season & the wage bill must have been horrendous,but the Grecians survived in the 3rd Division-Just.

Spoonz Red E

(bizzarly announced through the Sun iirc)
Unfortunately not so bizarre. The Sun has and had a practice of getting 'dirt' on people (and back then this was considered by them to be 'dirt'), calling them up to say they are going to splash the story and forcing the victim to give them 'an exclusive'.

Oldsmobile-88

Unfortunately not so bizarre. The Sun has and had a practice of getting 'dirt' on people (and back then this was considered by them to be 'dirt'), calling them up to say they are going to splash the story and forcing the victim to give them 'an exclusive'.
Yep...I seem to recall,Justin’s brother John offered double the money that rag was offering,not to give the exclusive & not to admit he was gay..Different times then.

I found it very sad that Justin Fashanu took his own life years later after a alleged ‘sting’ in the USA...Brian Clough who had problems with Justin Fashanu’s alledged sexuality when he at Forest,bitterly regretted looking back he did not do more to help him.

Oldsmobile-88

I was talking with Alan Mullery at the Brighton v Arsenal game yesterday and we were discussing Bally...Loved his football and loved Exeter beating Plymouth....
You will probably remember malcs,was Allen Trump responsible for bringing Bally to Exeter ?.
I seem to recall Ivor Doble was suspended from football activity at the time because of the FIGT(?) fiddle.

Trump did not seem popular for some reason(must be something in the name) during his time at the club,despite the manager being backed with money for transfers.

DanceMagnet

You will probably remember malcs,was Allen Trump responsible for bringing Bally to Exeter ?
I think it was Stuart Dawe who was the main man involved in getting Bally back into football management at City.

As an aside, I really enjoyed reading Bally's biography a few years back - must dig it out again!

Top player in his day, and I really enjoyed his time at City.

Last edited:

Red Devon

Scott Daniels was signed(50k),Peter Whiston came from Torquay(swapped for Rowbothom) Andy Cooke (50k) from Southampton they steadied the ship at the back.
Interesting to see what spending just a little bit of money can do for a team, 26 years on in 2018 spending that same 50k on two or three players as shown by signing Jayden Stockley can make all the difference in quality!!