• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Football & the Financial Crisis

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, my moneys also on the Hammers. Clubs get pilloried for paying High wages, but why on earth did Lucas Neill decide to go there rather than play for Liverpool?

Answers on a payslip please.

Last edited:

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
And why did Beckham join LA Galaxy? .... Answers either on a payslip OR a postcard or maybe even both???

manc grecian

A few clubs will be feeling the pinch. Can always see there being someone to bail them out though.

West Ham have to sell before they buy. The problem being that they have about two players anyone will be interested in.

Dean Ashton has Spurs written all over him. Not literally.

Gozzer

Yep. First in line are West Ham. I doubt that the Big 4 will be affected much, but you never know what with Liverpool and Man Utd being tied to the States. For everyone, not being able to borrow will affect their chances of buying, so I guess that over time wages will have to come down a bit. Who knows, Prem clubs may start looking for bargains in the lower divisions again, instead of looking around the international circuit. **rubs hands together **

LammieLammieLammie

And why did Beckham join LA Galaxy? .... Answers either on a payslip OR a postcard or maybe even both???
I think that's slightly different mate, Becks had been there and won that, and was nearing the end of his career. Lucas Neill is a cracking defender, and would have been a great signing for the scouse.

I guess my point is about the fact that the "top" clubs get hammered for paying top wedge, but the Happy Hammers wouldn;t appear to be that behind...

Antony Moxey

Lucas Neill is a cracking defender.
As in bone cracking? I can't stand the bloke, and find him to be one of the biggest thugs on a football pitch. I'm sure one day he'll mistime one of his challenges such that he does win the ball cleanly without maiming the opposition player and will be the first one on his feet, arms out, protesting 'what me?' when people cheer him for getting it right.

LammieLammieLammie

As in bone cracking? I can't stand the bloke, and find him to be one of the biggest thugs on a football pitch. I'm sure one day he'll mistime one of his challenges such that he does win the ball cleanly without maiming the opposition player and will be the first one on his feet, arms out, protesting 'what me?' when people cheer him for getting it right.
Maybe mate, maybe not. I can;t stand him either, I really can't but I think he's one of the best defenders in the country. If the mousers hads signed him instead of wheeling out Herman Munster, they would have won more games last year.

Anyway, we digress. :D

Poultice

I think they will all come under a bit of pressure particularly Manure and the Mickeys who are highly geared and need to refinance in the short term. Clubs like Chelski, Abu Dhabi City, Aston Villa and Spurs will sale on regardless as they are funded on a more personal basis by the Uber Wealthy. West Ham would appear to be in the frame but the Sigmundgunnarrssons are a diverse bunch and the collapse of all Iceland's banking , Kaupething have now gone too, may not affect them that badly.

I would suggest that the rest of the debt floating around is pretty manageable as long as we continue to cough up to Murdoch.

Tips for the trough :- Probably Everton, dunno why, just feel that they might be more Mickey than the Mousers.