• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FGR v Exeter Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK, "anonymous" is probably too strong but he didn't grab the game by the scruff and in recent games he has not been as effective as earlier. After his purple patch in October he has not scored for 9 matches.
To be fair to MJ, he is apparently recovering from covid and has barely trained for the last couple of weeks.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
As satisfying a performance that I’ve seen this season given the circumstances.Any neutral spectator would have thought the league positions were reversed.
The Grecians just lacked that little bit of extra quality infront of goal.MJ understandably looked a little rusty, he would have snapped up a couple of chances that came his way a month ago.

Cheick Diabate had a great game,keeping one of the best forwards in the division on a leash.My MOM.Just shading Harry Kite & Josh Key.

A great turnout of Grecians(833)after such a quick rearranged fixture.Difficult to create any sort of atmosphere on the side,but still as loud as could be expected in the circumstance.

andrew p long

I'm not sure we were ever in a position to make a serious attempt to sign him or compete with the wages he knew he would be able to get elsewhere. It's reasonable to assume that as well as Forest Green there would have been league 1 clubs interested as well.
Yes: Kane Wilson became available on a free when City had had to release all out of contract senior players in the summer of 2020. This was during the pandemic but before Watkins was sold. I seem to recall MT saying he couldn't compete on wages for the players he wanted in that summer. I got he impression that he had phoned Kane (or his agent) but was told that FGR were offering twice or three times what City could afford that summer . If only Kane had been available on a free at a time when we had a bigger budget and sought 'marquee' signings.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes: Kane Wilson became available on a free when City had had to release all out of contract senior players in the summer of 2020. This was during the pandemic but before Watkins was sold. I seem to recall MT saying he couldn't compete on wages for the players he wanted in that summer. I got he impression that he had phoned Kane (or his agent) but was told that FGR were offering twice or three times what City could afford that summer . If only Kane had been available on a free at a time when we had a bigger budget and sought 'marquee' signings.
And we ended up signing Jake Caprice instead, which hasn't turned out too badly, even if he's not a player we're going to sell for big bucks.

Reactions: WXF

Rosencrantz

And we ended up signing Jake Caprice instead, which hasn't turned out too badly, even if he's not a player we're going to sell for big bucks.
And of course it opened up the opportunity for Josh Key to come into the side and grab his chance.

tonykellowfan

Funny how different people see the game. MOM for me was Dieng, he is the no 1 name on the team sheet for me. He is there covering our CBs in front of our box, mixing it up in the middle with Collins and then getting into the opposition box for great chances.

arthur

Funny how different people see the game. MOM for me was Dieng, he is the no 1 name on the team sheet for me. He is there covering our CBs in front of our box, mixing it up in the middle with Collins and then getting into the opposition box for great chances.
I thought he was a bit below his usual par. But then maybe I wasn't paying attention...

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be fair to MJ, he is apparently recovering from covid and has barely trained for the last couple of weeks.
That would explain a lot.

Oldsmobile-88

I walked up the long hill to The New Lawn doing my cardio vascular the power of good,alas choking on Diesel fumes & particulates at the same time,feeling a smidgeon of irony with the warning CO2 banner adverts doing the rounds across the perimeter 😁

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Fantastic performance which finally convinced me of the merits of a back 3.

Diabate - what a performance. What a player. Utterly assured and made Matt look very ordinary.

Loved the way the academy boys knocked it round between each other. Thought Taylor should have replaced Dieng a bit sooner

Still can't work out why FGR are top of the league
Fair play to Chieck but Jamille Matt, much like his side, really isn't that special. I've seen him play for The Summers, Newport and Village Green against us and he hasn't done much of note against us. It strikes me it's the usual Exeweb 'he's big, quick and strong so he has to be good' parade. I wouldn't swap him for Sam Nombe.