• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FGR Discussion and prediction Thread (4th January)

Ironically, the most sustainable football club in the country is probably one of the least sustainable clubs in the country.

They are completely reliant on Dale Vince, I'd be surprised if they are above us in the football pyramid in 10 years. We will be mid table in league 2... ;) (see Matt Taylor thread).
Yes, and I also doubt their 'sustainable' credentials when it comes to how the club has been run.

Establishing a brand new club on one green field site with poor public transport connections and only a small local population to generate support from; and then deciding to move that club to another green field site, again with little prospect of a public transport infrastructure being put in place and little or no local support, means you have to sell a lot of vegan burgers over a lot of years to become net zero carbon.

Still that won't stop the media talking about the sustainable, green and mother nature-loving club that is Forest Green Rovers.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ironically, the most sustainable football club in the country is probably one of the least sustainable clubs in the country.

They are completely reliant on Dale Vince, I'd be surprised if they are above us in the football pyramid in 10 years. We will be mid table in league 2... ;) (see Matt Taylor thread).
He has been putting in £2M a year in recent years, half of which presumably goes on the playing budget. If he loses interest or some other major change occurs they will be forked.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
From reading the Football Forum, it looks like some interest is being shown in some of FGRs talented players. Nicky Cadden is hot property and Kane Wilson is also likely to attract interest too. They are looking nailed on winners at the moment, but if they lose one or two key players it could derail their season somewhat.

As for tomorrow, it’s great Dieng is fit and sounds like our bench should be stronger. There’s no reason why we can’t get a good result. We just need to keep them out early on, as if we concede in the first 15 minutes, it could be a long evening.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
He has been putting in £2M a year in recent years, half of which presumably goes on the playing budget. If he loses interest or some other major change occurs they will be forked.
I assume the fork will be a sustainable bamboo one?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, and I also doubt their 'sustainable' credentials when it comes to how the club has been run.

Establishing a brand new club on one green field site with poor public transport connections and only a small local population to generate support from; and then deciding to move that club to another green field site, again with little prospect of a public transport infrastructure being put in place and little or no local support, means you have to sell a lot of vegan burgers over a lot of years to become net zero carbon.

Still that won't stop the media talking about the sustainable, green and mother nature-loving club that is Forest Green Rovers.
There will always be attention-seekers like Vince who are happy to splash their cash for a bit of publicity; what really annoys me is the gullibility of the media who are willing to unquestioningly promote everything he does. That and the sheer pointlessness of the financial doping; as others have said the success of the club is entirely dependent on Vince's cash and as soon as that dries up they will back in non-league and probably playing in front of three figure crowds again.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
From reading the Football Forum, it looks like some interest is being shown in some of FGRs talented players. Nicky Cadden is hot property and Kane Wilson is also likely to attract interest too. They are looking nailed on winners at the moment, but if they lose one or two key players it could derail their season somewhat.

As for tomorrow, it’s great Dieng is fit and sounds like our bench should be stronger. There’s no reason why we can’t get a good result. We just need to keep them out early on, as if we concede in the first 15 minutes, it could be a long evening.
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this why they have pushed to have our game re-arranged so quickly - so that can play us while they still have their star players.