• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FA Cup 2nd Round

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pete, he was called Chris Kelly.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Essex wide boy knocked out by Leatherhead

A huge result to remove one of the most detested Non League clubs Since

Crawley Town about 10 years ago
Geddin Leatherhead, fantastic result. Now to knock out one of the most detested League 2 clubs :D

I see Braintree had Alan Julian in goal. Many a battle with him over the years, Stevenage mainly.

PeteUSA

Pete, he was called Chris Kelly.
Thats it! Bingo! Chris Kelly. Although why on earth his antics would stick in the mind, gawd knows. Our encounter with Leatherhead was the first game of our great FA Cup run of 1980-81. We won 5-0. His tactics clearly didnt work.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
If memory serves me correctly our next game after our visit to Old Trafford was away to Billericay.

PeteUSA

If memory serves me correctly our next game after our visit to Old Trafford was away to Billericay.
You mean it would have been had we beaten Man U?

Colesman Ballz

Indeed it was Sexton, for a 3rd Round FA Trophy match. After playing in front of over 67000 at OT, it was 1380 in darkest Essex ! Losing as well until we grabbed a 2-2 draw with a late, late comeback. Fortunately we progressed after winning the replay at SJP 2-0, again with a considerably smaller crowd, than had watched the Man Utd replay !

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
You mean it would have been had we beaten Man U?
No we had Billericay in the FA Trophy the following Saturday. Justin Edinburgh was their manager at the time. There were about 200 of us there, compared to the 10,000 at Old Trafford the previous week. We nearly lost too, a late goal from Devine gave us (I think) a 2-2 draw and we then won the replay.

I always remember Fullsy pre-match on the SJP tannoy at the Man U replay introducing the two teams. He said something like "Since we last met, Manchester United have drawn with Chelsea and beaten Liverpool. Exeter City have drawn with Billericay" Made me laugh