• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FA Cup 1st Round

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
cant help but feel nervice about this one after what happened last year. if its on the friday and on the tv i watch from home but if its on the saturday or sunday might be worth a trip out .......

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I can't make it on a Saturday come what may, so I'd be delighted if it was moved to Friday/Sunday/Monday!

Terryhall

http://www.didcottownfc.co.uk/photos/sat-6-sept-2014-mangotsfield-utd-h-sld1sw-512634.html

Granted this was about seven weeks ago however............. (facepalm)
59 weeks actually (2014, not 2015)

Terryhall

Preview https://facupfactfile.wordpress.com/2015/10/26/fa-cup-201516-1st-round-preview/ of the 1st round ties.

"27. Didcot Town (Southern League 1 South and West) v Exeter City (League Two) – First FA Cup meeting as The Railwaymen are in the 1st Round for the 1st time ever in their 26th FA Cup campaign. The Grecians have been eliminated in the 1st Round in each of the last five seasons."

I wonder what the media narrative for this tie is likely to be.

grecian55

Yes,a public park pitch.Complete with pubic toilets & a small grandstand.I was at that one as well...3,500 there for the 2nd round game..I was in Minehead recently & went past the pitch/ground,incredible to think now,that many were in the ground...Minehead were a good team.They had finished runners up to Wimbledon in the Southern League the previous season 76/77..The Westward TV cameras were there as well...A small convoy of cars & coaches made their way up the Exe Valley through Tiverton & Bampton,before the coaches nearly got stuck in that narrow part of Dulverton...A great day,rounded off by hearing the 3rd round draw in the coach on the way home.
Cheers Old's ,it was a good day and as you rightly say Minehead were and good team and continued to be for a good few years too ,relatively short trip from Barnstaple for me( and i can't even remember who gave me a lift over there ) lovely journey through beautiful Exmoor .

AndrewP

Mark Chapman off of BBC Sport summed it up really while the draw was on....
...."Didcot Town, the lowest ranking team in the draw, will play....Exeter City, who were knocked out last year in round 1 by non league Warrington"

Hey ho!

Number13

Is it just BBC on a Friday night that is the option or are BT doing the FA Cup too this year?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just BBC on a Friday night that is the option or are BT doing the FA Cup too this year?
Already mentioned (presume lost now!) in this thread, BT have two live matches, looking like taking place on Sunday and Monday evenings.

If we're on Sunday 6pm that could enable me to play (we'd have to shift our KO time) AND get to Didcot in time, double win.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the matches choosen for TV as they will see us as being good value for a 'Giant Kill' due to last years embarrassment and it being a good story with it being Didcot's 1st ever appearance in the competition proper. It would be useful money into the club as well. :)

Well-known Exeweb poster
Preview https://facupfactfile.wordpress.com/2015/10/26/fa-cup-201516-1st-round-preview/ of the 1st round ties.

"27. Didcot Town (Southern League 1 South and West) v Exeter City (League Two) – First FA Cup meeting as The Railwaymen are in the 1st Round for the 1st time ever in their 26th FA Cup campaign. The Grecians have been eliminated in the 1st Round in each of the last five seasons."

I wonder what the media narrative for this tie is likely to be.
As per last year baying for an upset.