• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter Vs Sunderland U23s PL Cup match day thread

Red Bill

I do wonder about this sometimes - given that Rodwell has been at Sunderland for well over 2 years, employment law says he must be treated as a permanent employee, irrespective of what his contract says. I can't see you could force him to take redundancy at the end of his contract as his job - that of footballer - is clearly still required. And it would be a devil of a job to dismiss him on grounds of competence (despite his poor showing in this match!).
This is a really interesting point, and one which has come up many times in the various Tisdale debates. It makes me believe there must be some exceptions in employment law relating to fixed term contracts that are used by football clubs, otherwise you'd never be able to get rid of anyone with a two year or more contract, even when it comes to an end.

Matt Russell

I can find info stating that all the knock-out ties in the last 16, quarters and semis are single match affairs.
Does anyone know if the teams topping their groups get to play their last 16 match at home or is it an open draw?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I can find info stating that all the knock-out ties in the last 16, quarters and semis are single match affairs.
Does anyone know if the teams topping their groups get to play their last 16 match at home or is it an open draw?
I believe it's an open draw. Draw to be made in March.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do wonder about this sometimes - given that Rodwell has been at Sunderland for well over 2 years, employment law says he must be treated as a permanent employee, irrespective of what his contract says. I can't see you could force him to take redundancy at the end of his contract as his job - that of footballer - is clearly still required. And it would be a devil of a job to dismiss him on grounds of competence (despite his poor showing in this match!).
I wouldn’t expect employment law to class him as a permanent employee when quite clearly he’s been given a contract for a fixed term. I would imagine this to be the case for contractors in the real world too who work to fixed term contracts otherwise there’d be no such thing as a fixed term contract for anything over two years if that classed you as being permanent.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is a really interesting point, and one which has come up many times in the various Tisdale debates. It makes me believe there must be some exceptions in employment law relating to fixed term contracts that are used by football clubs, otherwise you'd never be able to get rid of anyone with a two year or more contract, even when it comes to an end.
https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/terminating-fixed-term-contracts/

I expect football clubs rely extensively on SOSR

Red Bill

Its difficult to see what that substantial reason would be though. This looks destined to remain a mystery! ��

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 degree view of the game should be out later today.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The moment you've all been waiting for! The 360 view of Sunday's match

[video=youtube;xnzO3tWKmwo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnzO3tWKmwo[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnzO3tWKmwo

Last edited: