• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter v Charlton - Train advice required

My wife & I are hoping to come down from Chesterfield for the Charlton match on September 4th and return home on the Sunday. We did the same last year for the Norwich game and managed to get train tickets for £44 each (booked 5 weeks in advanced).
The cheapest return tickets I can find this year is £76 each which seems a bit pricey.
Does anyone know anyway of reducing this cost either by journey splitting or promotional offers? Any advice would be appreciated.

rogerc

Eventually Steve T will see this and get that travel computer in his head running for you.

I just thought that I would give a heads up that the Chiefs have their first home match in the Premiership that day - home to Gloucester, so you can be pretty sure that there will be many traveling on that line to Exeter for the rugby.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have had a quick look on the trainline & even splitting up the journey into singles,which usually can save a few quid it is still around 80 quid odd.....Keep looking,because it appears cheap tickets get released in batches & more may be available..Its pot luck,when you log on..Not very scientific,but its surprising what comes up a month or so before departure..

I have had a quick look on the trainline & even splitting up the journey into singles,which usually can save a few quid it is still around 80 quid odd.....Keep looking,because it appears cheap tickets get released in batches & more may be available..Its pot luck,when you log on..Not very scientific,but its surprising what comes up a month or so before departure..
Thanks I'll keep looking, I have noticed that trains for the Bristol Rovers match a couple of weeks earlier are slightly cheaper.

plain capers

I've managed to book 2 trips to London (D&R and Orient) for £23.20 and £15.50 return respectively. That's OAP rates. As Olds says keep trawling.

Is anyone planning to go to both the Yeovil and Bournemouth away trips? Me and my partner live near Liskeard in Cornwall (Deliverance/bandit country as far as anyone else are concerned) but could travel to Exeter and share petrol costs if anyone is driving.

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is no feasable way of breaking this journey up. If you were down and back in the same day then it would've been more possible

Piggy , ..........mustn't forget the good old Megatrain service , looks like you could be in luck if you're quick,

this is what I've dug up so far but you'll need to check it for yourself for times that suit you ........sone pretty cheap tickets in there , you just gotta get from Pancreas to Waterloo , good luck.

For you Piggy,

MEGATRAIN

Departs 05:39 Chesterfield, Chesterfield
Arrives 07:34 London, St Pancras
1hr 55mins
2 seats = £16.00

-----------------------------------------------------------------
SOUTHWEST TRAINS MEGATRAIN

Outbound Previous day Saturday 04 September 2010 Next day Select Details Duration Carrier Price Schedule
Departs 08:20 London, Waterloo
Arrives 11:37 Exeter, Central
3hrs 17mins
2 seats = £20.00
View
Departs 08:20 London, Waterloo
Arrives 11:42 Exeter, St. Davids
3hrs 22mins
2 seats = £20.00
View
Departs 09:20 London, Waterloo
Arrives 12:42 Exeter, St. Davids
3hrs 22mins
2 seats = £30.00
View
Departs 09:20 London, Waterloo
Arrives 12:37 Exeter, Central
3hrs 17mins
2 seats = £30.00

COMING BACK

Gotta be the MEGACOACH I'm afraid......

Departs 09:15 Exeter, City Centre
Arrives 13:15 London, Victoria Coach Station
4hrs 0mins
2 seats = £18.00
View
Departs 12:00 Exeter, City Centre
Arrives 16:00 London, Victoria Coach Station
4hrs 0mins
2 seats = £18.00
View
Departs 13:00 Exeter, City Centre
Arrives 17:15 London, Victoria Coach Station
4hrs 15mins
2 seats = £10.00
View

THEN from St Pancreas to Chesterfild @ £40 for two singles

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well it looks like it will be easier to drive..;)