• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women

Terryhall

It’s not the standard as such it’s the lack of pace & aggression I just find it a bit bland.
I presume this also applies to men's players who are less physical/aggressive, and more technical, such as Oxlade Chamberlain or Lallana? Or, L2 compared to the PL (the pace and aggression in L2 is a long way short of the pace and agression in the PL, after all.)

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I presume this also applies to men's players who are less physical/aggressive, and more technical, such as Oxlade Chamberlain or Lallana? Or, L2 compared to the PL (the pace and aggression in L2 is a long way short of the pace and agression in the PL, after all.)
I don't know about aggression in the PL but L2 are well short of the theatricals of the PL (although Lincoln are trying to make up for it)

jrg333

The simple truth is that even 'top' women's football is a similar standard to, say, county level Under 17 boys teams. I played for my county aged 16 and frankly I don't have any interest in watching a match being played at a level similar to the one I played at.

I want to be inspired, enthralled, entertained, wowed by what I see on the pitch, not watch and think "I could've bloody done better than that."

Fair play to everyone who supports the women's game but I won't let others try to make me feel guilty or 'hypocritical' about enjoying watching Adam Lallana more than Anna Lallana...

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have a question - why are they called ladies when they play women's football?
It is now supposed to be called women's football, i believe on the basis that calling a woman a lady is a comment on them as a person in the same way that calling a man a gentleman is (and we don't play gentlemen's football).

Temporarily Exiled

I want to be inspired, enthralled, entertained, wowed by what I see on the pitch, not watch and think "I could've bloody done better than that."
It's incredible that you came to support Exeter City in that case. I could use a lot of adjectives to describe our play in the last few years, but inspiring, enthralling and entertaining wouldn't be near the top of that list.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It is now supposed to be called women's football, i believe on the basis that calling a woman a lady is a comment on them as a person in the same way that calling a man a gentleman is (and we don't play gentlemen's football).
Indeed we don't - we play Football.

Terryhall

The simple truth is that even 'top' women's football is a similar standard to, say, county level Under 17 boys teams. I played for my county aged 16 and frankly I don't have any interest in watching a match being played at a level similar to the one I played at.

Fair play to everyone who supports the women's game but I won't let others try to make me feel guilty or 'hypocritical' about enjoying watching Adam Lallana more than Anna Lallana...
True story, a woman who used to play pro football in Holland apparently plays in a Friday night pick-up game that a mate of mine organises. She more than holds her own from what I'm told.

That said I don't doubt that there are very few spectators going along to watch my mate play in a school gym on a Friday night, either.

It's a personal choice but I'd agree with Sign Of The Chimes that at the point you make a decision to follow football, and at a lower league (or even non-league) level, then I don't get why watching the ladies (or womens) team would be any different to, say, the youth team or reserve team, or a pre-season friendly, or the Jokeatrade trophy. Not everyone will want to, and that's fine, but I wouldn't see it as being fundamentally worse just because it's womens football.

On the general topic of ladies teams, one of the most fun matches I've been to in recent years was FCZ ladies vs Sturm Graz (I think) ladies in the Womens Champions League. Played at the stadium under the floodlights, only one stand open but the attendance for that match was larger than the attendance for Grashoppers mens team in the Swiss cup (which was either the weekend before or after). Great atmosphere, nice big win, good skills on display (despite what others say about the quality being comparable to boys football) and a good crowd too. Nice to see and something ECFC might also consider if there is good progress in a cup competition and a gap in the SJP calendar for the fixture.

Temporarily Exiled

Nice to see and something ECFC might also consider if there is good progress in a cup competition and a gap in the SJP calendar for the fixture.
It'd be nice if they could just play in Exeter. Surely it'd be possible to fit something like this around the new 3G outdoor pitch at Cliff Hill too, would definitely help attendances on rainy days! Not sure how much something like that would cost, but surely it can't be that expensive.

whiff

It'd be nice if they could just play in Exeter. Surely it'd be possible to fit something like this around the new 3G outdoor pitch at Cliff Hill too, would definitely help attendances on rainy days! Not sure how much something like that would cost, but surely it can't be that expensive.
Well, they played in Exeter today and won 8-1. Great to see the club covering the match on the Official ECFC twitter feed, though not being up to speed with twitter I didn't realise this until the game was almost over.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
My lack of knowledge of the structure of the women's game means I have no idea what tier ECLFC are in. Anyone know?