• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women Development Squad 2021/22 Season

AndyB

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
That will be good experience for them.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
That be the u/16's rather than The Development Side that play in The Devon League.

grecIAN Harris

I'm hearing of potentially very interesting developments for The Development Side next season. The whisper is that they will be playing a regional reserve league next season with the likes of Lewes, Swindon and Keynsham if it comes to fruition. It will certainly be the step up in standard that the side needs to close the gap between them and the first team and make them more readily available for Aaron and Abbie to select them. My only concern is that if the current attitude from the first team (that's management and players) continues then it will render the whole idea pointless and won't change the two club set up within the club which, in my opinion, is instigated by the first team management. At the moment first team players who aren't in the matchday squad go to the game and just watch. They could be playing for the Development Side to a) keep themselves match fit and b) help improve the position of the Development Side and even improve some of the better players by having the opportunity to play with better players. At present the first team and the development sides train completely independently of each other, I'm told they now don't even warm up together. Since last years Devon Cup Final I have yet to see either Abbie or Aaron watch a Development Side match. Obviously if the first team are playing then they won't be there but there have been opportunities for them to come and run their eyes over the side to see who may or may not be worth looking at for a later date. As I've said, if the club are to make the most of this then attitudes need to change.
This is definately going ahead this season with a vast improvement in organisation for this season. The Development Side will now be known as Exeter City Reserves and they are being looked after a lot better in terms of having their own home and away strips, training kit and even travelling kit. A mini bus has been arranged for their away games and they, like the first team, will be playing their homes games at Exwick on the 4G down there so no postponements this season (at least at home anyway).

DB9

This is definately going ahead this season with a vast improvement in organisation for this season. The Development Side will now be known as Exeter City Reserves and they are being looked after a lot better in terms of having their own home and away strips, training kit and even travelling kit. A mini bus has been arranged for their away games and they, like the first team, will be playing their homes games at Exwick on the 4G down there so no postponements this season (at least at home anyway).
Brilliant news this, Just brings ECFC women's reserve team into feeling much more part of the club as a whole, I'm sure this happening will encourage more Girls/Ladies to sign for them.

grecIAN Harris

Brilliant news this, Just brings ECFC women's reserve team into feeling much more part of the club as a whole, I'm sure this happening will encourage more Girls/Ladies to sign for them.
It will be interesting to see how Abbie and Aaron will view and use them. So instead of having four or five players sat in the stands twiddling their thumbs as they did on a number of occassions, particularly at the start of the season, they will be playing for the Reserves and getting game time. It will also be interesting to see if we start to see the improvement of the younger girls that will come through the trials at the beginning of July as I've been saying I expect to see.
The Reserve Team members are also getting more involved in the social media and community side of things aswell.

Last edited:

DB9

It will be interesting to see how Abbie and Aaron will view and use them. So instead of having four or five players sat in the stands twiddling their thumbs as they did on a number of occassions, particularly at the start of the season, they will be playing for the Reserves and getting game time. It will also be interesting to see if we start to see the improvement of the younger girls that will come through the trials at the beginning of July as I've been saying I expect to see.
The Reserve Team members are also getting more involved in the social media and community side of things aswell.
Can only be a good thing Ian, You're obviously more involved because of your girl, It will be interesting to see how this new reserve team develops.

andrew p long

and as well as fringe first teamers playing for the reserves also the other way round of reserves being used in emergencies for the first team. As I mentioned earlier on this thread, I was surprised to hear Abbie Britton say that if the Women's team had to play a midweek long distance away game late in the season ' we will go with 9 players only'. It seemed more natural to take two players from the development squad instead to field a team of eleven. Obviously that's now going to be easier.

grecIAN Harris

and as well as fringe first teamers playing for the reserves also the other way round of reserves being used in emergencies for the first team. As I mentioned earlier on this thread, I was surprised to hear Abbie Britton say that if the Women's team had to play a midweek long distance away game late in the season ' we will go with 9 players only'. It seemed more natural to take two players from the development squad instead to field a team of eleven. Obviously that's now going to be easier.
You'd like to think that would be the natural order of things regardless...... if the first team are short you call up from the next side down.

iscalad

Needs a new thread.