• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Wycombe Wanderers Matchday Thread (Boxing Day 2023)

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Zak Jules in my opinion has been one of our most consistent performers. Arguably he is also playing somewhat out of position as a LWB/Inverted Fullback which shows his versatility which has been impressive. An underrated signing in my opinion.
Yikes. I googled 'inverted fullbacks' as I didn't know what it meant. This is what I got

Complicated! I think I'll go back to my son's lecturer's book on the philosophy of science - which is a bit more straightforward and easier to understand!

PS the author of the above is a 'Jamie Scott'!

Mid Devon Grecian

Yikes. I googled 'inverted fullbacks' as I didn't know what it meant. This is what I got

Complicated! I think I'll go back to my son's lecturer's book on the philosophy of science - which is a bit more straightforward and easier to understand!

PS the author of the above is a 'Jamie Scott'!
I think in summary he’s saying it’s a bloody complicated system that only the very top teams, and even then, only some of their players, can execute with success.

I’m not a fan, and don’t think we have the personnel to play it.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Playing with a lone striker, be it Cox or Diabate, results in a numerical superiority in midfield you’d think would make an inverted fullback less effective than one in a verticality role. An inverted fb also runs the risk of isolating the wide player, say a Niskanen, by removing his conventional security ring and limiting passing lanes during periods of organised possession play. Midfield runners could compensate for the lack of off the ball movement near the winger should they posses the necessary fluid efficiency, which I doubt.

Jamesy Scott knows his stuff, Zak should stay out wide ihho to best utilise his recently discovered pace and just keep it simple stupid.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think in summary he’s saying it’s a bloody complicated system that only the very top teams, and even then, only some of their players, can execute with success.

I’m not a fan, and don’t think we have the personnel to play it.
Same goes for all these newfangled systems. 2FC/2.

At our level straightforward systems with the right balance of players picked in their best positions will generally be most effective. And Laurie McMenemy had it right-

"Ball.in.goal!"

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're in a L1 relegation dogfight not fannying about in the Champions League group stages. False number nines and inverted full backs my arse.

berniesworld

We're in a L1 relegation dogfight not fannying about in the Champions League group stages. False number nines and inverted full backs my arse.
Whatever happened to the good old fashioned two up top and “wang it in the mixer”