• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Portsmouth Matchday Thread (Friday 29th December)

SidwellOldboy

Do people need to be on the database to buy tickets on general sale? I thought that only applied to priority tickets?
Don’t think I’ve seen any communication re being database only fans, can’t imagine it’s the hardest system to get past if desperate enough for a ticket anyway.

I don’t have a major prob with it, as long as any who are in aren't taking tickets from city fans and dont act like idiots..is few extra quid for club

Bridgy 81

Well if there’s a bloke on the Big Bank clanging a massive big bell he’ll be pretty easy to spot.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of his fifteen starts for Pompey, fourteen have been as left-back in a flat back four.
I always thought he was a good defender, while many on here said he wasn't. What is the Pompey view on this?

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Last home league win vs Portsmouth was on 14/01/1981!

Was that the Pompey home game where there was a biblical deluge before the game? 🌧

Ex-ciderrr

Will be there later, hopeful of a result

You reds

JW57++

Last home league win vs Portsmouth was on 14/01/1981!

My birthday! Here’s hoping for an early (surprise) birthday present tonight.

David Treharne

The best of today's weather has happened. For a brief period after lunch it was sunny and quite warm. Since then the temperature has dropped and now it's about 10c, but a blustery W wind is making it feel cooler. All the blue sky has disappeared and replaced with 80% light grey cloud cover. We had 4mm of rain, mainly overnight, but looking out over Haldon hills it looks as though it may rain again before the match. Either way it'll certainly be colder, courtesy of the wind strength. Actually, I'm looking forward to the game, not really in any sense of optimism, but I think it'll give an indication of just where we're currently short of players who might give us a thrusting midfield, and a 50-50 chance of converting crosses into goals. Both are issues that I think need addressing urgently. Wycombe gave us no real idea of where we are in rebuilding a team as they were so poor. After Boxing day Pompey will be looking to get back to winning ways.
I'll update around 18:00.

tom_ecfc

Was that the Pompey home game where there was a biblical deluge before the game? 🌧
IMG_1419.jpeg

sign of the chimes

I always thought he was a good defender, while many on here said he wasn't. What is the Pompey view on this?
I think there are still question marks around his defensive ability, particularly against some of the better teams, or players with pace and strength. He's had a couple of stinkers alongside some really solid performances. Several teams have attacked us down his side, so it's clear that he's seen as a bit suspect.

In interviews the player has said that he knows the defensive part of the game is one he needs to work on with our coaching team, and it's something they're focusing on.

I think it's fair to say that he's had a lot more game time than any one anticipated. He's contributed a great deal on the attacking side and if he continues to do that people will be more likely to overlook some of his defensive frailties. The big challenge for him is to keep playing at a level to keep his place when our other senior left-back is available for selection again next month.

Ex-ciderrr

I think there are still question marks around his defensive ability, particularly against some of the better teams, or players with pace and strength. He's had a couple of stinkers alongside some really solid performances. Several teams have attacked us down his side, so it's clear that he's seen as a bit suspect.

In interviews the player has said that he knows the defensive part of the game is one he needs to work on with our coaching team, and it's something they're focusing on.

I think it's fair to say that he's had a lot more game time than any one anticipated. He's contributed a great deal on the attacking side and if he continues to do that people will be more likely to overlook some of his defensive frailties. The big challenge for him is to keep playing at a level to keep his place when our other senior left-back is available for selection again next month.
Could be an interesting match up with him possibly lining up against Dion Rankine tonight - Dion loves to get forward in the RWB slot and take people on. That said Niskanen could be at RWB and Dion LWB who knows!

Just thought that could be an interesting battle this evening