• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Vs Port Vale Sept 19th Match Day Thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Port Vale are a good side, no need to panic!
Over the last ten years at least we have started the season by blooding youth before loaning a wedge of them out and reverting to more experienced players. This season I hope we persevere with the boys give them a real go at it. See how it goes and dip into the transfer market in January if necessary.
Re the match I think we should have started with Law and Jay {and Williams} Matt seems a bit one dimensional when it comes to picking his midfield.

ChrisWickens

Have a feeling any further comments about our current team and manager may well be irrelevant as judging by the recent broadcast we are heading for a further lockdown and sorry to be a wet blanket another close down of live sport.
Whilst this continues City will be losing money (along with all other EFL clubs) and I am happy that we seem to have reduced the ongoing player wage bill. This is a great opportunity for even more of the Academy lads to step up a few levels because I cannot see us adding to that bill by investing in some more players. The result on Saturday was disappointing but Vale looked more decisive and they are one of the favourites for auto promotion.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Maybe we'll have a poor start and a strong finish!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we should have started with Law and Jay {and Williams}
We cannot play 14.

You keep saying play the youngsters etc.

What would your team and formation have been ?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would have started with the same team as we had last week like we did, as you cannot predict players misfiring, however next week I would go

Ward (last chance before trying Maxted)
Key (caprice if fit)
McArdle
Dean
Page
Collins
Williams
Law
Randall
Jay
Ajose

in a 4 1 3 2 formation. Bit of a lack of height up front but should be good if we can play it along the ground. Won't happen though, as Bowman will be chosen ahead of Ajose, not sure about Taylor being dropped MT might just do that for Law and probably Randall for Williams

Avening Posse

I would have started with the same team as we had last week like we did, as you cannot predict players misfiring, however next week I would go

Key (caprice if fit)
McArdle
Dean
Page
Collins
Williams
Law
Randall
Jay
Ajose

in a 4 1 3 2 formation. Bit of a lack of height up front but should be good if we can play it along the ground. Won't happen though, as Bowman will be chosen ahead of Ajose, not sure about Taylor being dropped MT might just do that for Law and probably Randall for Williams
That’s the 11 I’d pick as well. Agree it will never happen

IndoMike

Key (caprice if fit)
McArdle
Dean
Page
Collins
Williams
Law
Randall
Jay
Ajose

I quite like that team in that away we will probably be counter attacking rather than controlling the game and Ajose is more likely to score if put through on a break But it would be very surprising if Ajose was selected ahead of Bowman.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster

Key (caprice if fit)
McArdle
Dean
Page
Collins
Williams
Law
Randall
Jay
Ajose

The problem with a line up like that is we would get absolutely battered at set pieces. We would be conceding even more soft goals than we do currently.

IndoMike

The problem with a line up like that is we would get absolutely battered at set pieces. We would be conceding even more soft goals than we do currently.
We get battered anyway at set pieces
At least Hell's team seems more likely to score. But it's purely hypothetical . Although MT seems to be getting a bit peed off with Bowman, don't think he'll drop him yet.

fred binneys head

Port Vale are a good side, no need to panic!
That's quite right, we're only one win from the play offs FFS!