• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vrs Crewe Matchday Thread 16/09/17

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nice and easy! City played the game against the team set out against them, Crewe weren't a bad side but we got the early goal and took it from there. Let them have their possession but kept it tight at the back and hit them on the break. Mom Taylor, tigerish in midfield and scored 2 goals, magnificent. In all reality it was a great team effort, we look good!

David Treharne

An absolutely astounding first half performance, apart from the first five minutes when Crewe could/should have scored, but thereafter a free flowing attacking game with the defence solid as a rock where Crewe failed to cope with the quick breaks that we were making, and the chances that were being created. Someone (Matt Taylor?) has taught Sweeney how to tackle, and although Woodman got caught out for speed a couple of times it was difficult to fault the back 4. Troy Brown won just about every header that he went for. Reuben Reid must be a real handful to mark, and his close control is giving others space to run off his passes. The second half was a good, if not as spectacular display. Lee Holmes gave the defence a really torrid time, and as a result came in for heavy attention. Boateng is going to be a real asset once he learns that box to box also includes passing to someone who can finish the move off. Jayden Stockley looks as though he's getting his fitness back, and is also difficult to deal with. Great to see Deano come on, we were wondering exactly how long it was since he's pulled on the shirt in anger. Crewe consistently tried to get behind our defence, but I though they looked very one dimensional in attacke. most of it coming down the left. A word for the Ref too, it's a long time since I've seen one trying to play advantage and he pretty much got everything right.
It was a great match, with the second half not quite living up to the free flowing football of the first half.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've just seen the third goal on Sky. Have either Taylor or Stockley claimed it yet ? The Beeb credit it to Stockley but eye witness accounts give it to Jake.

elginCity

Great to see Deano come on, we were wondering exactly how long it was since he's pulled on the shirt in anger..
About four days, Doc. :D

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I've just seen the third goal on Sky. Have either Taylor or Stockley claimed it yet ? The Beeb credit it to Stockley but eye witness accounts give it to Jake.
Definitely Jake's goal.

dontpassback

Echo dr daves comments on the ref,it's been a bleddy long time since I have enjoyed a game,not only between to footballing sides,but also a ref who let the game flow and appeared to know the laws of the game,well done ref !

tavyred

Imperious.
Good night.

muppetdodger

Stockers was miles away from it, cant think why there is any confusion!

STURTZ

When your two nil up and can see Stockley Boating and Moxey warming up, well you've got to feel good about being City haven't you?

Last edited:

hienzeECFC

Small but pedantic point but City v Newprat has already been a 1st vRs 2nd "six pointer" which, as I recall, ended rather well.

As for today, IMHO possibly the most comprehensive ECFC performance under Lord Tisdale's (long) reign? Bossed the game almost from start to finish - could have been double figures ?!!!!!?

And still with so much firepower to unleash from what must be the strongest bench in the division?

Arguably (potentially) the bestest ECFC squad in our history. (Even surpassing TC's 89-90 one????)

Discuss

I appreciate the vRs in there....could've done with a date though.