• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Swindon Town Matchday Thread

thermopylai

Very happy with that. Swindon gave us a few problems but we coped very well indeed. Hard to pick a MoM, great performances across the team.

Temporarily Exiled

The second half showed just how difficult playing against that wind was, getting to the break on top proved vital.

Cripes. Gonna take some stopping.
With three automatic spots, we don't need to focus on stopping them - just on playing well ourselves. They (or we, just as easily) could 'pull a Notts County' and chuck it all away by the end of the season anyway.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hard to pick a MoM, great performances across the team.
I agree, its difficult to pick, but if pushed I'd say Stockley. Seemed to chase everything; and that disallowed goal....Wow!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
At the moment it looks as if they are going to take some catching and with Newport yet again getting a late late 98 minute winning goal (where are the refs getting these minutes from) we are struggling to get clear in second.

PeteUSA

Where are the refs getting these extra minutes from?
I agree. 5 minutes today seemed excessive!

scottus86

Much better commentary this week, which is a shame because last week I had to listen to the game at work.

Deserved our win, Swindon were alright but looked toothless upfront. Aderson was their best player until they made substitutions then he faded out of the game. Shame Stockley's second was offside, I had a look at it again but it was hard to see the angle from the camera's view but probably the right decision. The first 15 minutes of the game was our best period, but overall the second half was better. We never looked uncomfortable and our defence was excellent. Although Croll may have an occasional hiccup, his ability to play out of defence is class and I think he found an Exeter player with all of his passes. Jake Taylor put in an excellent defensive display and was always covering the rest of the midfield. I think for his standards Law had a quiet game. Stockley and Forte both had good games. Sweeney and Moxey were both good going forward and I think Swindon's formation helped them have an easier defensive game. Boateng had a very good game but with some wayward passes/touches towards the end. If Ogbene hadn't got injured, I'd have probably taken him off. I don't think you can blame Pym for his kicking as the wind was terrible, he should have probably been instructed to play the ball on the ground a bit more though. I like that we have the players that can play short passing football but we also have the options of going long and the strikers are capable of both styles of play, we can mix it up and we're quite an unpredictable team to play against.

jimmy

I agree, its difficult to pick, but if pushed I'd say Stockley. Seemed to chase everything; and that disallowed goal....Wow!
Really solid from Martins and Croll too...Holms was also very bright.

PeteUSA

From the iFollow point of view, it looked like the referee (and linesmen) had good games.

whiff

Such an impressive performance. We didn't panic when the wind was against us and Swindon were getting a lot of the ball; they created slightly more chances than Stevenage in the last home game but still never really tested Pym. By contrast we looked dangerous every time we attacked and could have won by more. Aaron Martin was again an absolute rock while Croll put last week behind him and not only defended well but looked good on the ball. The other two players to stand out were Deano and Lee Holmes who both played as well as I can remember for a long time.
Two other final thoughts. Firstly, it's great to see Stockley finally winning some free kicks. Secondly can we have John Ayres commentating every week please, And Pat Baldwin may not the most natural or fluent co-commentator but it is great to get an ex-player's insights.

scottus86

From the iFollow point of view, it looked like the referee (and linesmen) had good games.
Yes, I don't think they put a foot wrong. It'd be interesting to see what Swindon fans thought. I think both teams were there to play football though and that certainly helped the ref have an easier game.

Last edited: