• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sutton United Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sutton view on the game.

Mentions twice he thought it was a foul in the build-up to the second goal but fails to mention they were lucky not to concede one, if not two, penalties.
Not sure I’d agree either that our goal was against the run of play as I think our subs had already started to have a positive impact on the game at that point.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mentions twice he thought it was a foul in the build-up to the second goal but fails to mention they were lucky not to concede one, if not two, penalties.
Not sure I’d agree either that our goal was against the run of play as I think our subs had already started to have a positive impact on the game at that point.
Comes across as a Del Bauy Adams apprentice ! :p

Devon_Lad

Stop booing the kneel, good amount of our team is black. How do you think they feel when home fans boo that! I understand it’s past it’s sell by date but allow it for now please! Definitely a minority mind, probably no one on here.
Strange comment - “allow it for now please” even though it’s “past it’s sell by date”.

Great second half, as good as Rovers at home was, nothing quite beats City scoring at the Big Bank end. Edwards made the difference.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Posted this on Thursday on the prediction thread.

They don't give loads of goals away, so you're 5 1 scoreline might be fanciful. Sutton are a big side, play a little like Cheltenham, lots of long throws and the compete very hard for first and second balls..It will be a battle.
Unfortunately Malcolm you re-posted this a little early. Yes, you were completely right to highlight Sutton's physicality and it is a concern how difficult City found this to handle. However, Louis John, their number 6, does give goals away as he twice ended up on the floor after tussling with Sam Nombe and both times it cost Sutton a goal.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sutton remind me of Wycombe in the way they lump the ball up, are very physical & play for set pieces. Our performance today also reminds me of most performances against Wycombe, allowing ourselves to get bullied and playing right into their hands when we do get the ball. Need someone to put their foot on the ball relax and keep the ball.
They also reminded me of some of the well-drilled Keith Curle sides we've struggled against over the years, most notably, of course, Northampton at Wembley.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stop booing the kneel, good amount of our team is black. How do you think they feel when home fans boo that! I understand it’s past it’s sell by date but allow it for now please! Definitely a minority mind, probably no one on here.
It's hard to pick up on iFollow but I've not heard complaints about City fans booing the taking of the knee so, as Ian says, perhaps fans were booing Sutton players for not taking the knee.

For me, I still find it incredible that it was only a few years ago that American sportsmen were sacked and became unemployable for taking the knee. Therefore, I'm incredibly proud, not just, that the City players want to take the knee but that they do so with the full support of the rest of the football club and, from what I can tell, the vast majority of the fans.

On a related note, I also absolutely love the Her Game Too advertising hoardings. It still shocks me how few women you see in the crowd at games and hopefully that is something that will improve over the next few years.

CraigECFC

They also reminded me of some of the well-drilled Keith Curle sides we've struggled against over the years, most notably, of course, Northampton at Wembley.
definitely feel like in past years we would’ve lost that game. Interesting reading my comment back I said we needed to come on and be composed on the ball. Kyle Taylor was that man. Completely changed the game. Edwards also gave us a different dimension and was eccelkent When he came in. Said on Tuesday he looked a class above and showed it again today.

fred binneys head

He also said the crowd was quiet until we scored, didn’t sound like that on the radio.

Memphis09

Thought the referee was excellent. All the bo//ocks about stonewall penalties. He definitely got both "shouts" right.
Thought the first was a definitely a pen but not the second

PeteUSA

Highlights from youtube: Unfortunately no replays of the penalty debates, but theres plenty of evidence to support the fact that we should have been beaten out of sight! A combination of top keeping by Dawson and resolute defending handed us the points in the end, but Sutton must feel they were robbed IMHO.