• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Port Vale Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pete always cheers me up when I don't need cheering up after a solid 2-0 win.
To be fair to Pete the commentary wasn't the greatest today.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Didn't realise that it was Boateng's first goal of the season.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I've just seen a clip of Hiram Boateng's goal on social media and it's even better than I thought it was.

andrew p long

Goal of the season by Boateng .
Sadly for Hiram just a few days after entries closed for the ECFC goal of the season; voting already under way...

Didn’t a similar thing happen last season with his goal against Lincoln(?)

DB9

Days like these make me wish "If only those defeats by "Lesser" teams were wins and we could be very comfortable in the play-offs and even knocking on the auto's" Still well done lads and the fans

Grecian2K

As Mr Long has posted elsewhere a near-perfect set of results for us today (apart from the vegans of course)

All of a sudden a 4 point buffer, and hugely superior GD against most of our main (mathematical) rivals.

Dark horses though could be the dreaded Satanage (AGAIN - wasn't it them who effectively scuppered our auto chances round about this time last year? :( ) As thing currently stand I'd happily take an ugly 0-0 there - as long, of course, we can maximise on our last two home games by crushing the creepies and finally extinguishing the flickering play off flame of Oldham's POFF dreams.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's the hope that bloody kills you. On an afternoon that was pretty much perfect results wise for City and good woth performances all over the pitch it's tempting to forget the horrors of Mansfield and Macclesfield and think that maybe, just maybe we might be good enough to get out of this division. However, being realistic Port Vale were absolutely woeful so it's hard to read too much into this performance. At least City were professional enough to mostly avoid getting dragged into Port Vale's gamemanship, cut out the silly mistakes at the back and make sure of the win. Boateng will rightly get the praise for his sublime goal but Bowman was strong and Law was back to something like his best. However, Tror Brown was my man-of-the match as he won absolutely everything and his distribution was good as well.

Unfortunately, however, after an excellent refereeing performance in the game against Macclesfield, for the second Saturday in a row the referee was woeful. After an entertaining first half an hour the referee, not helped by his assistants, completely lost the plot and, for me, ruined the game as a spectacle. They seemed to get almost every decision wrong and this meant the players had no trust in them and Port Vale were allowed to get away with a succession of niggling fouls. At least, unlike last week, it didn't affect the result and the better team deservedly won.

dontpassback

Excellent result,excellent goal from Hiram,and all round good displays by Troy,Nicky law and bowman who never gives up on anything,we have some good players and results have gone our way,so we need to build in this and the play offs will beckon,well done city (clap)

contrabombarde

To be fair to Pete the commentary wasn't the greatest today.
In all fairness to Steve Tully, he is/was a professional footballer not a professional commentator and it's not as easy as it sounds once you have a microphone in front of you.
I didn't think it was too bad at all.

Great result, roll on Friday.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As Mr Long has posted elsewhere a near-perfect set of results for us today (apart from the vegans of course)

All of a sudden a 4 point buffer, and hugely superior GD against most of our main (mathematical) rivals.

Dark horses though could be the dreaded Satanage (AGAIN - wasn't it them who effectively scuppered our auto chances round about this time last year? :( ) As thing currently stand I'd happily take an ugly 0-0 there - as long, of course, we can maximise on our last two home games by crushing the creepies and finally extinguishing the flickering play off flame of Oldham's POFF dreams.
I think Newport, with their game in hand, are the one team capable of breaking into the top 7. I still fear, though, we could be going to Forest Green on the last day for a winner-takes-all shootout for the last play-off place but hopefully we can grind out enough results before then to avoid that.