• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EXETER CITY V NORTHAMPTON TOWN MDT

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do Watford think he's a League 2 player? I doubt they would have inserted the sell on clause if they believed that.
As for the other question, I've answered previously and if you can't be bothered to read or remember that's for you to sort out.
Excuse me?
If that's your way to respond to me after I've taken the time out to reply to many of your (boringly) repetitive posts on the subject of Williams
you can go do one.

grecIAN Harris

Excuse me?
If that's your way to respond to me after I've taken the time out to reply to many of your (boringly) repetitive posts on the subject of Williams
you can go do one.
Oh, I'm sorry Princess. Just for delectation, Lee Martin on the right where he should be. Or if you wanted a slightly more defensive option, Taylor. On the left Sparkes. His delivery is more consistent and his all round game is more solid which leaves Williams fighting for his place in the current formation. If we went 4-4-2 I might be inclined to pick him over Sparkes because he has the protection of Woody behind him. Or if we went 4-3-3, I'd pick him as the left side of the front three but have him consistent with Lee Martin I'd have on the other side. Satisfied dear?

Grecian2K

Big win. If we can be in the Autos through December going into the New Year I will be very happy.
I'll be even happier if that's where we are next May!! :p

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'll be even happier if that's where we are next May!! :p
And end of April, preferably before we play Leyton Orient.

Grecian2K

Given that is running away in the league table of "assists" so far this season I don't think young Mr Williams is doing too shabbily.
In fact he's assisted with one third of ALL of our goals scored (plus now scored another two in his own right) suggests that he is a key component of our current team (even if he is in "the wrong position" most of the time.)

grecIAN Harris

Given that is running away in the league table of "assists" so far this season I don't think young Mr Williams is doing too shabbily.
In fact he's assisted with one third of ALL of our goals scored (plus now scored another two in his own right) suggests that he is a key component of our current team (even if he is in "the wrong position" most of the time.)
I'd be intrigued to see the break down as to how they come about. One from the left yesterday (obviously there are unlikely to be many more of them in that count) and the free kick against Argiggle....... how many more of them have come from dead ball situations? Also, how many if them have come in the last couple of months as I seem to remember a post of similar vein (Williams leading assists) earlier in the season?

Last edited:

IndoMike

Oh, I'm sorry Princess. Just for delectation, Lee Martin on the right where he should be. Or if you wanted a slightly more defensive option, Taylor. On the left Sparkes. His delivery is more consistent and his all round game is more solid which leaves Williams fighting for his place in the current formation. If we went 4-4-2 I might be inclined to pick him over Sparkes because he has the protection of Woody behind him. Or if we went 4-3-3, I'd pick him as the left side of the front three but have him consistent with Lee Martin I'd have on the other side. Satisfied dear?
I always thought you were an adult, but clearly I was wrong, so I won't use any long words.
Martin is not dynamic or incisive. His main purpose should be to press, upfield, in certain games. He's not a game changer nor a winger type who will get to the byline and cross.
I see no reason to change Sparkes on the left and William on the right - it's working. You have not persuaded me, other posters or Matt that it is worth doing.
Our main problem is that Bowman is not a natural goalscorer so hard-earned chance go begging, and he doesn't have a fox-in the -box partner.
So by playing Williams on the left you are disrupting Sparkes' role and using Martin as a makeshift winger : too much hassle just to accommodate Williams on the left when he's doing fine on the right.
There's no point going over and over this. Maybe other posters can give their opinions and we can see what they think.

grecIAN Harris

I always thought you were an adult, but clearly I was wrong, so I won't use any long words.
Martin is not dynamic or incisive. His main purpose should be to press, upfield, in certain games. He's not a game changer nor a winger type who will get to the byline and cross.
I see no reason to change Sparkes on the left and William on the right - it's working. You have not persuaded me, other posters or Matt that it is worth doing.
Our main problem is that Bowman is not a natural goalscorer so hard-earned chance go begging, and he doesn't have a fox-in the -box partner.
So by playing Williams on the left you are disrupting Sparkes' role and using Martin as a makeshift winger : too much hassle just to accommodate Williams on the left when he's doing fine on the right.
There's no point going over and over this. Maybe other posters can give their opinions and we can see what they think.
Now here is the biggest point to what I'm arguing about this for. On the deck, you're absolutely spot on about Bowman. However, get your wide man (Williams) around the back so he is attacking the ball and he can be a good source of goals. Cast your mind back to last week and see how Bowman got his goal. Ben Seymour (who I thought was bloody unlucky to be dropped to the bench yesterday) worked the channel from (IIRC) a Bowman flick on then got the ball wide to an onrushing Pierce Sweeney who whips in an early ball behind the Hartlepool back line that Bowman can attack with his head and from three yards out is unstoppable. But yes, he does need an Ajose/Seymour working along side him to make the rest of his game effective.
Oh, and for the last part of your comment about Lee Martin, when did you ever see David Beckham beat a man in the style of a winger? Not very often yet he is the best crosser of a ball England has ever seen. He used to work his way down the line with passing and movement and then work himself a yard before getting the ball in. I think you're doing Lee Martin a disservice over his ability on the ball. Also I think you'll find that Martin played wide on the right for Gillingham (I stand to be corrected about this) where he was also captain.

IndoMike

Now here is the biggest point to what I'm arguing about this for. On the deck, you're absolutely spot on about Bowman. However, get your wide man (Williams) around the back so he is attacking the ball and he can be a good source of goals. Cast your mind back to last week and see how Bowman got his goal. Ben Seymour (who I thought was bloody unlucky to be dropped to the bench yesterday) worked the channel from (IIRC) a Bowman flick on then got the ball wide to an onrushing Pierce Sweeney who whips in an early ball behind the Hartlepool back line that Bowman can attack with his head and from three yards out is unstoppable. But yes, he does need an Ajose/Seymour working along side him to make the rest of his game effective.
Oh, and for the last part of your comment about Lee Martin, when did you ever see David Beckham beat a man in the style of a winger? Not very often yet he is the best crosser of a ball England has ever seen. He used to work his way down the line with passing and movement and then work himself a yard before getting the ball in. I think you're doing Lee Martin a disservice over his ability on the ball. Also I think you'll find that Martin played wide on the right for Gillingham (I stand to be corrected about this) where he was also captain.
I'm 7 hours ahead of you and missus has to sleep at 10. Will continue tomorrow.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I rarely talk about the officials however the ref yesterday made some strange calls.

In the second half Bowman nipped in to nick the ball away from one of their players, he was chopped down and it was a blatant yellow card, the ref either gave nothing or gave them a free kick, I was most alarmed.