• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town - League 2 Playoff Final at Wembley Stadium

Legohead

Banned
Northampton get promoted at the expense of us for a season in L1 but their fans don't get to experience it and will now get to experience L2 again. I have that strange dichotomy of feeling smugly pleased that this has been the case on the one hand, but then also some real sympathy for their fans on the other. A weird juxtaposition.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Northampton get promoted at the expense of us for a season in L1 but their fans don't get to experience it and will now get to experience L2 again. I have that strange dichotomy of feeling smugly pleased that this has been the case on the one hand, but then also some real sympathy for their fans on the other. A weird juxtaposition.
Wasn't at the "Expense" of us Lego, We got well and truly dicked by them fair and square.

Legohead

Banned
Wasn't at the "Expense" of us Lego, We got well and truly dicked by them fair and square.
Yes i agree. They fully deserved it. No argument from me there at all.

Reactions: DB9

Pobbop

Nothing about last season was fair and square, we'd have had a chance at auto promotion if Covid hadn't happened, or if had happened a few weeks earlier, not sure Northanpton had the same chance, in the end they and other teams like Wycombe, cornish scum, won the lottery, fair play to them, but it's not "fair and square".

DB9

Nothing about last season was fair and square, we'd have had a chance at auto promotion if Covid hadn't happened, or if had happened a few weeks earlier, not sure Northanpton had the same chance, in the end they and other teams like Wycombe, cornish scum, won the lottery, fair play to them, but it's not "fair and square".
Nothing to do with the run up, The game itself was where we were dicked, As for the run up, All clubs knew the score, In fact our form was very similar to this season, Very unpredictable.

Banksy

Yes i agree. They fully deserved it. No argument from me there at all.
Maybe they did , but the nasty part of me says up yours , you’re down again. It would be nice to pass them on the way down , but if we don’t we must make sure next year is autos or nothing. This playoff lottery has a bad smell to it.

Reactions: DB9

Pobbop

Nothing to do with the run up, The game itself was where we were dicked, As for the run up, All clubs knew the score, In fact our form was very similar to this season, Very unpredictable.
Well your post has clearly been upliked by mine, but again, the match wouldn't have happened if the run-up hadn't happened, so it's easy to say it wasn't fair and square. How did all clubs know the score it was a sudden break unbenownst to football ever, utterly bizarre comment.

DB9

Well your post has clearly been upliked by mine, but again, the match wouldn't have happened if the run-up hadn't happened, so it's easy to say it wasn't fair and square. How did all clubs know the score it was a sudden break unbenownst to football ever, utterly bizarre comment.
The break was sudden but the whole world knew what was going to happen and in the break the football bosses decided how the season would finish, There was PPG, Null & Void and one other i think. Of course that match might not have happened if the pandemic didn't hit and we finished the whole 46 games but our form suggested at that time we would have fell a bit short of the play-offs, Now i can't say 100% this is how it would of panned out but it looked that way given our form at that time, In the end the football authorities decided the fairest way to end that season was PPG and we got to the PO final, Never turned up and were thoughly dicked by Northampton.

Last edited:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I kinda agree. I have no real positive or negative feel for Northampton if I'm honest. God awful identikit stadium, crooked ex Chairman but the real lesson is teams who play the Keith Curle way are very effective at L2 level but get shown up the league above. However, what's not to like in a post using the words dichotomy and juxtaposition. Top marks Lego!

Spoonz Red E

We were in the automatics for 18 weeks solid running up to 2 weeks before the cut off.

We knew there was a lockdown coming but there had been no decision on how this would have affected the season's matches.

The decision to go for PPG or even have it as an option was made after we'd all stopped playing.
Continuing the season to its conclusion, albeit behind closed doors, was still thought likely at that point.