• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town - League 2 Playoff Final at Wembley Stadium

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Has anyone got a link to Taggy on Radio Devon?
Best that can be done is the whole show I’m afraid.

Ex-ciderrr

Best that can be done is the whole show I’m afraid.
what minute/time on The show?

Oldsmobile-88

what minute/time on The show?
Judging from Devon Reds earlier post,around 0800.

Ex-ciderrr

Judging from Devon Reds earlier post,around 0800.
Thankyou olds

ryancooper327

Nearly 650k people watched the sh*t show according to https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/20202/june/tv_audience/

Martin Weiler

It’s on 2 hours 19 minutes and 30 seconds.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
As we all know hindsight is a wonderful thing and MT’s decision, whilst not seeming to be a bad one at the time to bring in the muscle of Nigel Atangana and keep the pairing of Ryan Bowman and Alex Fisher on the principle that with their height they would give the Northampton defenders plenty to think about, just did not work out as he had hoped.

Our midfield was virtually anonymous lacking any creativity and there was very little midfield play by either side with Northampton getting the ball from their half up into our penalty area with the minimum number of passes.

They are a strong powerful side and our attempt to match them failed miserably. Our defenders were out muscled and beaten in the air on numerous occasions. Indeed you could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of aerial battles we won anywhere on the pitch.

We looked vulnerable every time the ball came into our penalty area and with the long throw ability of their captain Goode, who was a captain in every sense of the word, they didn’t need to get past our defenders to cross the ball or indeed to force a corner as every time we cleared into touch virtually anywhere within our own half he was there to launch yet another throw into the box. Throughout the season we have looked vulnerable from corners and set pieces and with Northampton’s tactics we were having defend far more than in an average game.

A few people have criticised Jonny Maxted and yes he is fallible but his saves definitely kept us in the game. Second half particularly with the introduction of Archie Collins we started to get time on the ball and Northampton were looking far less comfortable.

Whether we might have scored, got back into the game and at last given Northampton something to worry about is debatable as we never really had the chance to find out thanks to Dean Moxey’s unexplainable rush of blood to the head resulting in a red card and leaving us to play the last 30 plus minutes with ten men.

Last night we once again, as many times during the season, had a powder puff attack and paid the price for having no attacking plan or the players to execute it allowing Northampton the freedom to continue to pressurise our defence safe in the knowledge that they were able to cope comfortably with what we had to offer.

Knowing our defensive vulnerability from high balls I was worried from the moment it became clear just how potent a weapon Goode’s long throws were. Any defence would have struggled against such a relentless aerial bombardment and as our defenders as a group were not on their game the end result was inevitable.

As far as the season itself was concerned immediately prior to lockdown we had been on a poor run picking up 11 points out the last 30 available and only 2 out of the last 12. It came at the wrong time for us as our next two games were two consecutive winnable home games whilst Argyle had two relatively difficult away games and had we won those we could well have changed places with them.

Having said that had we not taken advantage of those games we would probably have dropped further adrift of the automatic places and with Cheltenham and Port Vale on song might have even have struggled to make the playoffs.

Our performance in the playoffs was very much a microcosm of our season at times playing some quality and exciting football whilst at other times playing utter dross. Our lack of strikers was always going to be our eventual downfall and there were a number of times where we have played our opponents off the pitch but failed to kill them off and collect all three points due to an inability to put the ball into the back of the net. Had we had a half decent strike force we would have been safely in one of the automatic positions when the lockdown came.

Others have made detailed comments as to how they think we should go forward and I agree with many in that none of the out of contract players are good enough and can be replaced and that a number such as Pierce Sweeney and Jake Taylor look to have passed their sell by date but whether or not we can offload them is another question.

Personally I have not been over impressed with Tom Parkes, also been very disappointed with Nigel Atangana’s contributions and Alex Fisher generally has been the waste of a shirt.

However the one fact is obvious goals win games and if MT does not address this area and bring in a proven and fit goal scorer we ain’t going anywhere.

Just an aside to put the proverbial “tin hat on it” we now have even more unwanted New Wembley records to add to our catalogue we were already the first team to lose a competitive match there, the first team to concede a penalty although Paul Jones in saving it became the first keeper to save one and the first team to have a player sent off. Tonight we added to that as the first team to lose a game behind closed doors and the first player to have a player sent off in a game behind closed doors.

Ironic that after such a good team performance in the second leg against Colchester in the second leg anyone of the players could have justifiably been given the MOM award. Whereas last night apart from Jonny Maxted making a number of excellent saves preventing what could well have ended up the biggest defeat suffered by any team throughout the history of the playoff finals or even the playoffs in general, remembering this was Northampton who beat us 9-0 at their place in season 57/58, it would be contrary to the “Trades Description Act” act to award it to anyone.

Colchester game we showed the football world nationally how good we could be and may have picked up a few extra admirers but last night’s performance will have seen them quickly disappearing over the horizon.

Hopefully last night’s performance will not result in those, due to the uncertainty of when football will restart properly and possibly worrying about their job security, deciding that renewing their season tickets is not going to be the most sensible use of their finances......which ever way you look at it interesting times ahead so onwards and upwards UTC.

Ian Russon

Ok, It's taken me nearly 24 hours to show my face in public. I'm disgusted by the way we played and thank the lord I did not waste my hard earned money on attending. We had no character, played a long ball game and did not look like we could work the wings. They had us on the floor and point blank laughed in our face. MT has always come across as a person who'd always be up for fighting on the pitch if need be. Yesterday they elbowed us, they took Randell out at every given opportunity and our reply was a red card. We have the inability to be able to toughen up without getting a card.

I'm honestly livid.

Devonbean

As we all know hindsight is a wonderful thing and MT’s decision, whilst not seeming to be a bad one at the time to bring in the muscle of Nigel Atangana and keep the pairing of Ryan Bowman and Alex Fisher on the principle that with their height they would give the Northampton defenders plenty to think about, just did not work out as he had hoped.

Our midfield was virtually anonymous lacking any creativity and there was very little midfield play by either side with Northampton getting the ball from their half up into our penalty area with the minimum number of passes.

They are a strong powerful side and our attempt to match them failed miserably. Our defenders were out muscled and beaten in the air on numerous occasions. Indeed you could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of aerial battles we won anywhere on the pitch.

We looked vulnerable every time the ball came into our penalty area and with the long throw ability of their captain Goode, who was a captain in every sense of the word, they didn’t need to get past our defenders to cross the ball or indeed to force a corner as every time we cleared into touch virtually anywhere within our own half he was there to launch yet another throw into the box. Throughout the season we have looked vulnerable from corners and set pieces and with Northampton’s tactics we were having defend far more than in an average game.

A few people have criticised Jonny Maxted and yes he is fallible but his saves definitely kept us in the game. Second half particularly with the introduction of Archie Collins we started to get time on the ball and Northampton were looking far less comfortable.

Whether we might have scored, got back into the game and at last given Northampton something to worry about is debatable as we never really had the chance to find out thanks to Dean Moxey’s unexplainable rush of blood to the head resulting in a red card and leaving us to play the last 30 plus minutes with ten men.

Last night we once again, as many times during the season, had a powder puff attack and paid the price for having no attacking plan or the players to execute it allowing Northampton the freedom to continue to pressurise our defence safe in the knowledge that they were able to cope comfortably with what we had to offer.

Knowing our defensive vulnerability from high balls I was worried from the moment it became clear just how potent a weapon Goode’s long throws were. Any defence would have struggled against such a relentless aerial bombardment and as our defenders as a group were not on their game the end result was inevitable.

As far as the season itself was concerned immediately prior to lockdown we had been on a poor run picking up 11 points out the last 30 available and only 2 out of the last 12. It came at the wrong time for us as our next two games were two consecutive winnable home games whilst Argyle had two relatively difficult away games and had we won those we could well have changed places with them.

Having said that had we not taken advantage of those games we would probably have dropped further adrift of the automatic places and with Cheltenham and Port Vale on song might have even have struggled to make the playoffs.

Our performance in the playoffs was very much a microcosm of our season at times playing some quality and exciting football whilst at other times playing utter dross. Our lack of strikers was always going to be our eventual downfall and there were a number of times where we have played our opponents off the pitch but failed to kill them off and collect all three points due to an inability to put the ball into the back of the net. Had we had a half decent strike force we would have been safely in one of the automatic positions when the lockdown came.

Others have made detailed comments as to how they think we should go forward and I agree with many in that none of the out of contract players are good enough and can be replaced and that a number such as Pierce Sweeney and Jake Taylor look to have passed their sell by date but whether or not we can offload them is another question.

Personally I have not been over impressed with Tom Parkes, also been very disappointed with Nigel Atangana’s contributions and Alex Fisher generally has been the waste of a shirt.

However the one fact is obvious goals win games and if MT does not address this area and bring in a proven and fit goal scorer we ain’t going anywhere.

Just an aside to put the proverbial “tin hat on it” we now have even more unwanted New Wembley records to add to our catalogue we were already the first team to lose a competitive match there, the first team to concede a penalty although Paul Jones in saving it became the first keeper to save one and the first team to have a player sent off. Tonight we added to that as the first team to lose a game behind closed doors and the first player to have a player sent off in a game behind closed doors.

Ironic that after such a good team performance in the second leg against Colchester in the second leg anyone of the players could have justifiably been given the MOM award. Whereas last night apart from Jonny Maxted making a number of excellent saves preventing what could well have ended up the biggest defeat suffered by any team throughout the history of the playoff finals or even the playoffs in general, remembering this was Northampton who beat us 9-0 at their place in season 57/58, it would be contrary to the “Trades Description Act” act to award it to anyone.

Colchester game we showed the football world nationally how good we could be and may have picked up a few extra admirers but last night’s performance will have seen them quickly disappearing over the horizon.

Hopefully last night’s performance will not result in those, due to the uncertainty of when football will restart properly and possibly worrying about their job security, deciding that renewing their season tickets is not going to be the most sensible use of their finances......which ever way you look at it interesting times ahead so onwards and upwards UTC.
That is an excellent post.

DB9

Ok, It's taken me nearly 24 hours to show my face in public. I'm disgusted by the way we played and thank the lord I did not waste my hard earned money on attending. We had no character, played a long ball game and did not look like we could work the wings. They had us on the floor and point blank laughed in our face. MT has always come across as a person who'd always be up for fighting on the pitch if need be. Yesterday they elbowed us, they took Randell out at every given opportunity and our reply was a red card. We have the inability to be able to toughen up without getting a card.

I'm honestly livid.
I can sympathise with every word IR #Stillfuming