• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Crewe Matchday Thread

I'm not sure what we can do but there needs to be some sort of complaint made about officials from Devon being allowed to referee our games. Personally I don't think either Brett Huxtable or Lee Swabey are biased against us but why are they put in a position where that is even allowed to become a discussion point.

Also does anyone know if the assistants last night were also from Devon? I know higher up the game the referee will often have a regular pair of assistants but I've no idea if that is the case in League 2.
I'm not sure what we can do but there needs to be some sort of complaint made about officials from Devon being allowed to referee our games. Personally I don't think either Brett Huxtable or Lee Swabey are biased against us but why are they put in a position where that is even allowed to become a discussion point.

Also does anyone know if the assistants last night were also from Devon? I know higher up the game the referee will often have a regular pair of assistants but I've no idea if that is the case in League 2.
Unlike most people on here I did not think that the referee's performance affected the result although his Assistant did make a serious error of judgment when Williams was pulled back second half. The plain truth of the matter however is that the EFL Appointments Secretary lost the plot in giving the game to a Plymouth referee when Plymouth are involved in the promotion scrap as well. It would not have been such an issue had Exeter or Plymouth been further down the League. I am afraid that the referee should not have been put in the position in the first place. Imagine the furore had there been a controversial goal or sending off. It could also have worked the other way around. He could have given everything to Exeter to avoid the accusation that he was biased against them. What an invidious position to be put in. I simply could not believe it when I saw who was refereeing.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unlike most people on here I did not think that the referee's performance affected the result although his Assistant did make a serious error of judgment when Williams was pulled back second half. The plain truth of the matter however is that the EFL Appointments Secretary lost the plot in giving the game to a Plymouth referee when Plymouth are involved in the promotion scrap as well. It would not have been such an issue had Exeter or Plymouth been further down the League. I am afraid that the referee should not have been put in the position in the first place. Imagine the furore had there been a controversial goal or sending off. It could also have worked the other way around. He could have given everything to Exeter to avoid the accusation that he was biased against them. What an invidious position to be put in. I simply could not believe it when I saw who was refereeing.
While I agree with your conclusion it's also worth noting that this is not the first time he has refereed us season or the first contoversial decision he has made against us. Add in our history with Brett Huxtable and it's clear this is not a one-off mistake by whoever appoints the referees.

C j phill

Though I don't want to believe it and hope with all my heart that I'll be proved wrong, i dont think we will get to those golden autos that shine in the distance so tantalisingly. I've had a nagging doubt for too long that we just aren't complete enough to get there as we just lack the consistent quality needed in a couple of areas. Our form dip, at such a crucial time just underlines this for me and I'm begining to wonder if the players doubt themselves too. A lifetime of supporting city has shown me not to set my hopes too high yet all too often i fall into that trap. Ah well, onwards and......somewhere.
This is 100% correct. Unless we become braver in our attacking play, very quickly and the manager becomes more positive with his substitutions, we are destined for the play-off lottery and I'll consider the season to be one of under-achievement by the players and management. We have given away too many sloppy goals and failed in many attacking perspectives from missing clear chances. The pitch currently clearly isnt very good but that's not the reason we've only got 2 points from a possible 6 in the last couple of games.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Randell Williams got Man of the match. From watching on iFollow I'd disagree, for the second game running I'd have given it to Atangana.

We've got a good team, with well above average players all over the pitch - apart from up front, where our options are average at best.
Looking back, we could all probably name a dozen forwards who, if in the current team, would turn this into a championship winning season. However, it looks like lack of goals could well cost us.
[/QUOTE
Absolutely agree with this, if we fail to get promotion this season it will be due to Taylor's very poor recriutment of strikers and failing to address it in January.
If we do manage to get promoted I cannot see the point of playing any of them in league 1 where you will not even get the 5 chances required before you score 1.

Last edited:

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
**Just noticed Grecian Piglet's post.

Taylor's built a very impressive side but I fear our quality up-front will ultimately cost us dear.

Bowman works hard but he's a bottom-half L2 player who shouldn't be leading a promotion-chasing attack, Ajose has been a huge flop, Lee Martin runs around a lot without any end product and Fisher must be very poor if he can't get any minutes.

The frontline needs a serious overhaul in the summer regardless of promotion, especially if we get a big windfall for Watkins and/or Williams.

thermopylai

we could all probably name a dozen forwards who, if in the current team, would turn this into a championship winning season. However, it looks like lack of goals could well cost us.
Exactly - just imagine a Stockley or a (younger) Cureton with the some of the chances we have created. Much of our build play has been good, and there was a real sense of urgency last night - but finishing, and sometimes the final ball, simply has not been good enough.
That we are where we are is remarkable considering the problem up front, and we are still well in it if we beat the Giggles in a few weeks. One postive from seeing Crewe last night was that they showed that you don't have to be very good to be in the autos.

StudentGrecian

Exactly - just imagine a Stockley or a (younger) Cureton with the some of the chances we have created. Much of our build play has been good, and there was a real sense of urgency last night - but finishing, and sometimes the final ball, simply has not been good enough.
That we are where we are is remarkable considering the problem up front, and we are still well in it if we beat the Giggles in a few weeks. One postive from seeing Crewe last night was that they showed that you don't have to be very good to be in the autos.
I think it’s easy to argue players like that would have gotten us promoted, Stockley proved he was too good for League Two with us twice, and Cureton banged goals in for us in League One.
Taylor would never be able to sign a striker like either of these.

StudentGrecian

Paul McCallum turned us down to move to Solihull Moors. Realistically who are we signing that’s better than Bowman?
He’s 5th top scorer in the league, behind 3 players we could never afford (Doyle, Yates, Maynard) and Ollie Palmer.

Billtong

Going mental at wembley row 131 between seats 234-
Once again look at the actual match, many times breaks were made but often no one or not enough people are in the danger area, Bowman is a hard worker but look at the amount of times and touches that takes him out of the penalty area, so when the ball comes in he isn't there, he needs to be told say in the middle as target man not drawn towards the edges of the penalty area, therefore hes's not in the position to be fed, and no one fills the area he should be.