• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Charlton Athletic Matchday thread.

JGrecian23

Just back and very frustrated. Score early and sit back watching Carroll slow down play for 70 odd minutes is not for me.

I actually thought Yannick played well for once, he had the beating of their full back all game but his end product wasn't great, although let down by the poor finishing when his cut backs did find a teammate.

Chalton were absolute garbage, humping it out of play all game. Awful team and even worse to watch. Their fans can't be enthused by that. We could have won 3 or 4 if we kept attacking. Saying that, May should have won it at the end which would have been hard to take.

The changes weren't great. A front 3 of Eisa, Alli and Rankine is all showboating and no end product. Few good counter attacks wasted by them at the end.

Thought Woods, Aimson and Vil were decent. Carroll, Harris and Cox poor.

JGrecian23

Good game, feel sure Charlton will be right up there next season and I thought we were at least as good as them. All the time we said we needed strikers what we really needed was a solid defensive midfielder, Woods was outstanding. Having said that I can't say the attackers we brought in are showing much, Aisa and Alli look lost and should have been the fresh legs required to get us over the finish line.
Wildshutt had his best game for us!
Charlton won't be anywhere near based on that today. They were utter crap.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ryan Woods is quality.

Sign him up.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good game, feel sure Charlton will be right up there next season and I thought we were at least as good as them. All the time we said we needed strikers what we really needed was a solid defensive midfielder, Woods was outstanding. Having said that I can't say the attackers we brought in are showing much, Aisa and Alli look lost and should have been the fresh legs required to get us over the finish line.
Wildshutt had his best game for us!
Charlton stank the place out, missed opportunity to get 3 points.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
We seem to be good for 5 mins, rubbish for 5 mins, good for 5 mins, rubbish for 5 mins. Really odd. Edging closer to the magic 50 mark.

Trampus

We seem to be good for 5 mins, rubbish for 5 mins, good for 5 mins, rubbish for 5 mins. Really odd. Edging closer to the magic 50 mark.
We have goodness knows how many players in the squad and yet not a single goal scorer amongst them. To end up in this position needs some serious negative planning. How about Exeweb sponsors some sessions at the Cat and Fiddle called ‘ scoring goals, the key to winning football matches’? I assume that at the moment training comprises passing the ball to one another in your own half while avoiding if possible own goals.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't see periods of rubbish this afternoon. Saw too many misplaced passes when we were on the attack but at least we were trying to break their lines.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Frustrated, we should have won that comfortably but we're to busy trying to score the picture book goal. Sometimes the best opportunity is the one that presents itself in the first instance not the one you think you might create one or two passes later. If the ball falls to on the edge of the box with a half reasonable sight at goal take the responsibility and pull the trigger.
I'll need to see their equaliser back but my instant reaction was that Chieck should have done what he is good at and put his through the cross and then it would never have given a chance at goal nevermind his subsequent own goal.

Last edited:

supernova

The tackle by Purrington (I think it was him) to prevent a certain Charlton goal was sublime. We didn’t play the conditions well second half - should have learnt from Charlton’s mistakes in the first 45 yet we still kept over hitting balls. Harris should have scored ffs - the lad is on Fulham’s books and gets in the Wales Squad. No excuses

Fair result.