• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bury matchday thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Are we playing towards the Big Bank in the 2nd half - it always seems to make a difference..
Yeah, right Indo :x

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Disappointing, but Taylor should have learnt something about what doesn't work from that.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Second best all over the pitch second half and some bad decision making at times. The only bright spot from those 45 minutes was that Donovan Wilson looked very sharp when he came on. Bury turned from a good footballing side in the first half into a professional, effective solid second half, a combination which will surely take them up at the end of the season.

arthur

Two shots on target. Not auto behaviour....

IndoMike

I just don't like the idea of playing the traditional big striker any more. Too predictable. I reckon we sorely missed Lee Martin today.

PeteUSA

I didnt realise Bowman was playing until 10 minutes from time! And that Williams bloke isnt what we need either!

dave williams

Dreadful performance, 2nd best all over the pitch. That score flatters us.

Banksy

I just don't like the idea of playing the traditional big striker any more. Too predictable. I reckon we sorely missed Lee Martin today.
So why was he out along with Forte , injuries?
Maybe we’ll pay the price for not properly replacing Stockley by forking out a bit more money for someone.

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well, that was a reality check. We never really got going in the second half and Bury worked out that if you keep Nicky Law quiet we haven't got much other creative threat. Their goal was a little unlucky but we lost two 50-50's in the middle of the pitch and put ourselves under pressure. Mansfield lost so third spot isn't completely out of sight but on this showing the two Wilsons and Randall Williams are really going to have step up if we are even to make it to the play-offs.

scottus86

It wasn't a bad game, we could have prevented their goal which was disappointing. The first half we looked good, but we couldn't get going in the second half. I think criticism of Bowman is unfair, he was the only player of our to hit the target and had poor service. He ran and won the ball and brought players in to the game and had two headers on target which with a bit of game time he might have done better with.

I think we clearly missed some of our more influential players in that game. It was clear Lee Martins influence was missing and as well as Williams did in the first twenty minutes, he faded out of the game and showed he is quite naive still, where Martin is a clever and seasoned professional. It was a shame Forte was out too as I think his clever running would have been a bit more affective than Bowman's hold up play.

Law did ok but didn't offer the touch of class we have seen over the last few games, I guess if today is an off day though, we can't complain. Jake Taylor made some great tackles too and played alright. Collins was a little sloppy and was caught in possession a few times and gave away the ball with some loose passes, but he is young and learning so he can have a few games like that. Sweeney had an odd game, it was very inconsistent. One minute he was pinging the ball 5o yards or bringing the ball down under control sublimely and the next minute he'd play a 5 yard pass to a Bury player. Woodman did alright in general but you'd have to lay the responsibility for the goal at his feet, he got caught out of position and the broke in to the space. Lee Holmes played well, could have probably subbed him ten minutes earlier as he looked very tired. First half he would cut inside but just couldn't find the space for that final shot, cross or pass. Even so, we was probably our most threatening player on the pitch.

Donovan Wilson looks like he could be a handful, would have liked to have seen him play a bit longer as he didn't have enough time to change anything. Given half an hour I reckon he'd have caused them some problem and given them something to think about.

I noticed someone say Bury didn't look that good. I'd argue that they look one of the most competent and disciplined sides we have played this season. They had a game plan and eveyone single one of their players knew their role for attacking and defending. They were solid and very difficult to break down and I wouldn't be surprised if they went on a run and gave Lincold a bit of competition for the top spot. They played quick passing football, it wasn't complicated but it was good and well executed. They barely lumped it long and they looked comfortable sitting on a 1 goal lead. Something I think we lack.